Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System freezes playing WoWarcraft \ Requires Reboot

• Please log in to reply

Frosthowl

Frosthowl

• Pip
  • 2 posts
My computer recently took a dump on me, and being the stingy person I am, I bought some parts from a friend in order to repair it. Has a 100% fresh installation of XP on it, installed all the drivers for the motherboard, and downloaded the latest drivers I could find for everything else. It works perfectly. Except when I start playing World of Warcraft.

The game could start up fine, and I could be playing for 30 minutes, then, it freezes. Whole computer locks up, tried letting it sit a few minutes, hitting the task manager, nothing. Or I could simply start to load the game and it freezes. I've tried setting my setting to bare minimum, same thing happens. Update the drivers, same. I googled the problem, and found many people with the same\simliar problem, and I've tried everything from clocking the Core\Memory on the videocard down, to god knows what. I tried about everything I could find.

My system:
Windows: Windows XP5.1 (Build 2600) Service Pack 2
Internet Explorer: 6.0.2900.2180
Memory (RAM): 1536 MB
CPU Info: AMD Athlon™ XP 1900+
CPU Speed: 1577.4 MHz
Display Adapters: ATI Radeon 9600 / X1050 Series | ATI Radeon 9600 / X1050 Series Secondary | NetMeeting driver | RDPDD Chained DD
Screen Resolution: 1280 X 1024 - 32 bit
Hard Disks - Free: C: 106.0GB
Product Make: KT400-8235
BIOS Info: AT/AT COMPATIBLE | 09/23/02 | KT400 - 42302e31
Motherboard: KT400-8235
380w PWS

I found this error in the Event Veiwer under application : Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error calling routine CoCreateInstance. hr = 0x8007007e.

Event ID 8193

My first time ever asking for help on a forum, if this is in the wrong spot, I apologize, and if I left out any information, I'll get it as fast as I can.

Also, everything seems to be running at a normal temp as far as I see whenever I check Speedfan.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
do you play other games on your computer? Are you experiencing any other issues?

To be honest our computer is on the lower end of the spectrum to play this game, however it should still meet the requirements. What it sounds like is that heat is building up and eventually causing our system to lock up. I would try leaving the cover off the pc to see if that helps. Not to mention that you should make sure that your fans (cpu, power supply, and graphics card, chipset) are in good working order. Some canned air can easily be used to keep them clean.

Frosthowl

Frosthowl

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
No, just WoWarcraft I know it's an older setup, i'm stumped at the moment. I use to play it fine on an even worse rig, I did a total, clean install last night, and lowered the video settings below any previous level. Same problem. I installed the original video card\drivers, no difference. I just cleaned -everything- with canned air a week or two ago, everything seems to be running at a normal temp.

It doesn't really matter now, I got a new system from my brother that had a HD go bad, put a new one in it and installing everything fresh. Maybe my XP install had a bug? I installed a fresh copy about the same time I started to have the freezing issues on my old pc.