Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I lost my Standby mode!

• Please log in to reply

Isabella90

Isabella90

• Pip
  • 3 posts
My laptop was recently wiped (on accident) and I lost EVERYTHING. Including my standby option. When I tried looking in other forums, the answers I found were not very helpful. I have no idea what to do! Please help!

Advertisements

hfcg

hfcg

The hippie freak computer geek

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,496 posts
Hello,
Please read This article on standby mode.

Isabella90

Isabella90

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hello,
Please read This article on standby mode.

Still doesn't help. My computer says that I don't even have a standby option. Not even in the control panel.

makinu1der2

makinu1der2

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

My laptop was recently wiped (on accident) and I lost EVERYTHING. Including my standby option. When I tried looking in other forums, the answers I found were not very helpful. I have no idea what to do! Please help!

Hello Isabella90,

Since everything was reinstalled have you updated Windows? What Service Pack are you running?

Isabella90

Isabella90

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I'm running on Windows XP, service pack 3. I already went to the Microsoft website and downloaded the high-priority updates. (I've tried downloading all of them and lost my sound for a time :)) There was actually one hardware update that gave me back my Standby mode, but screwed with my screen. It suddenly got distorted and jumpy and I thought my computer was fried. When I restarted it, my resolution was messed up and I wasn't able to fix it even after going through properties and trying higher/lower resolutions. So I just restored it. However, I'm not sure which software updates to install.