Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Get Windows 7 Free?

• Please log in to reply

mequestion

mequestion

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
Wondering if there is any way to get Windows 7 as Vista replacement for free since Vista turned out to be such a pita. (& if it is any better?)

Anyone know?

Advertisements

**Brian**

**Brian**

Semper Paratus: Always Ready

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Wondering if there is any way to get Windows 7 as Vista replacement for free since Vista turned out to be such a pita. (& if it is any better?)

Anyone know?

I don't know a way to get Windows 7 for "free" but I read several articles about Windows 7. I don't believe that Windows 7 is even supposed to be released untill 2 years from now, as far as I know.

Major Payne posted this: Windows 7: First Look - Gives you an idea of what to expect.

Brian

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Paul Thurott has extensive coverage on Windows 7 at http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/.

The first beta (to msdn subscribers) will go out sometime late 2009.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
there is not a chance that you're going to get windows 7 for free...it's a different operating system not a feature roll up....no matter how much you dislike vista they're not going to just give you a free version to replace it...

people hated windows me...they didn't get a free copy of xp when it came out because of it.....it's actually kind of silly to assume that they'd give you a free version just because YOU don't like the one you bought..

yes when vista was released there were A FEW issues with compatibility etc....HOWEVER 90% or more of those issues are fixed now (especially in SP1)....

ajrichwalder

ajrichwalder

• PipPip
  • 95 posts
this topic is really old but yea windows 7 was made available beta and the release canidates in march 2009 but they stopped because the beta will roll back to your previous operating system this month wait july 1st to be exact

hawklord

hawklord

• PipPipPip
  • 400 posts
just an added bit,

the release candidate (not the beta version) for windows 7 doesn't start 'shut down' till march 2010 and expires june 1st 2010 - so its ok for a year or so yet