Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Computer Just Shuts Off

• Please log in to reply

topperking99

topperking99

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
Hi,
Recently I have been having problems with my Laptop -
When I run a CD-Rom Game (Roller Coaster Tycoon) Half way through a game my computer just turns of all by itself.
It did it a couple of times last night and I thought maybe it was a power issue - but it cannot be as I am on the computer all the time & it only happens when I have been using my CD ROM -
It occured a few times before and it turned out that it was my Trend Micro Software that was causing it - so I removed it and re-installed.

When it happened last night and I restarted a message came on from Trend Micro on my desk top saying that auto shut downs could be caused by software not communicating etc. and that the last Trend Micro Auto Update was reversed because of that issue -
Could you Help me to see where this error is occuring and if I can fix it?

Should I get another type of Virus Software?? (I hope Not - I really like Trend Micro)

Thank You.....

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Windows XP is set by default to reboot your computer when it hits a critical error. For most users I suppose this is a good thing, as no one likes to see the BSOD (blue screen of death). But in this case, we actually WANT to see the BSOD because it contains some useful information in diagnosing the problem. In order to force your computer to show you the BSOD, need to tell it to stop auto restarting on critical errors.

Right-click...My Computer... and then click ...Properties...
Click the ..Advanced tab...
Under Startup and Recovery.. click ..Settings... to open the Startup and Recovery dialog box....
Clear the ..Automatically restart.. check box, and click OK the necessary number of times...

Restart your computer for the settings to take effect....

topperking99

topperking99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Thanks Man -
One more question though - It seems to still happen - most of the time when I'm playing a game from a CD-ROM -
And it doesn't reboot - it just shuts off......

How can I prevent it from doing that ......... what do I need to fix on my software?

Please Help

Edited by topperking99, 15 November 2008 - 04:24 PM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try cdgone ...lowdown is here..

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Please, post some computer info:
- processor type, amount of RAM (hold Windows key, hit Pause/Break key)
- hard drive size/free space (open "My Computer", right click on hard drive letter, click "Properties")

Download, and install SpeedFan: http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php
Post your computer temperatures:

Posted Image

topperking99

topperking99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Hi Guys,
Thanks for your postings -
I haven't yet tried the CDgone Reg yet as I am a bit wary - is it safe?

Also here is the information BRONI requested ....

SYSTEM:

AcerSystem
Intel Core Dup CPU
T2350 @ 1.86GHz
1.86 GHz, 1.99 GB of RAM

Windows XP SP3

SPACE:

C Drive: Used Space: 38.5 GB / Free Space: 14.6 GB
D Drive: Used Space: 39.2 GB / Free Space: 14.4 GB

TEMP:

HD0: 38C
Temp1: 65C
Temp2: 27C
Core0: 52C
Core1: 50C

I hope this helps -
Thanks

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Your processor max temp is listed at 100C, so you should be OK in this department.

topperking99

topperking99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Okay - I tried CDgone REG and my computer still shuts off about 5 - 6 minutes into a CDRom Game -
What else is the problem .....?

Please Help!!

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello topperking99...

Let's look into the temperatures a little more. If the processor is at 65*C during normal use, what is it during game play? In SpeedFan, select the "Charts" tab. Select to monitor "temperature" and tick the box next to "Temp1".

Play your game for a few minutes...almost long enough to get the shutdown, but not quite. Take a look at the temperature graph in SpeedFan and report back with the highest temperature the processor reached during game play.

wannabe1

topperking99

topperking99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Hi,
Thanks for your reply -

The Temps are as follows -

The Temp1 stays at a constant 58C
The only ones that go up are:
Core0 & Core1
They reach up to over 70C

Thanks .....

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I really think this problem is heat related.

Most motherboards have a thermal protection threshold of between 65*C and 75*C. When the processor gets warmer than that, the machine shuts down. In your case, Speedfan monitors the cores separately. The thermal cutoff will occur if either core gets warmer than the set threshold.

Does it help at all if you prop the rear of the laptop up on a book or something to increase the air circulation under the machine? At this point, I'd have to suggest picking up a can of compressed air at a local office supply or computer store and give all the vents a good cleaning. Another thing you might consider is a laptop cooler such as those listed HERE.

topperking99

topperking99

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Thanks Wannabe1,
I just want to mention though that it doesn't shut off when I am using the CD ROM to install a game or other software - only when I am playing it ....
Also, when I try to get the Fan numbers on SpeedFan - nothing is there - could my fan be busted ....

I tried what you said with a notebook and even though the computer still shuts off, it lasts a lot longer now & I was able to play about 15 minutes worth compared to 4 or 5 -

Thanks & Take Care

Edited by topperking99, 21 November 2008 - 10:18 AM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
I think if you were to clean all the vents with compressed air and get yourself a cooler like I suggested earlier, you might even be able to play that game.

Laptops, for the most part, do not make good gaming machines. They just have a tough time dissipating the heat they generate when they are worked hard. It's important to keep the vents clean and keep a good airflow beneath them.

Thanks for letting us know your progress...