The following is a list of things the LG techs said I needed to do to get this to work. I did what they suggested but nothing has worked:
1. upgrade the player cable to an ultra dual density cable
2. free up hard drive space (went from 5Gb to 12.3Gb)
3. I installed a 250Gb hard drive. (not LG's recommendation but the specs on the player recommends 20GB of free space.)
4. upgraded the codecs. They had me go to www.free-codecs.com and download XP Codec pack 2.4.3
5. Since none of this worked, they suggested I put the player in another computer to see if it would work there. I did this and the player worked. (The computer I tested it in is another Dell Dimension 2400 that is identical to the one I want to install the player in except it already has a DVD player in it.)
As a side note, the CD player that came with my computer works fine.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.