Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

World of Warcraft Performance Issue

• Please log in to reply

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Hey Geeks!

This problem has been happening for a long time and previously I thought it was just due to my amount of addons, but I've decreased the number I use by at least 200% yet I still have the performance issue. My computer specs are in my signature yet I can only hold FPS in between 18-30. Very rarely will I see it jump above 30 and if there are a lot of people/activity it will drop below 18 frames.

Keep in mind I have everything about as low as it can go and am holding about a constant 28 without doing anything. With my system I thought I could handle at LEAST medium settings! Anyone heard of issues like this or have suggestions?

Thanks!

Advertisements

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Bump? I've found out that it still runs fine with texture resolution/spell detail maxed. Anything more and I lose my awesome FPS.

Total the game is only using 40MB +/- while running so I don't think it's a RAM issue. Any reason why I can't max this puppy out?

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
As I understand it, WoW is dependent not only on your pc specs, but the server and networking as well. Have you tried playing on a different server?

Keep in mind that WoW design criteria was to make the game playable on a wide set of hardware. In doing so, they kept the performance down. I think 30fps is an acceptable performance target for this game. It doesn't compare to cod4 or half life 2 when talking about fps. I know that doesn't help. So, what it boils down to is that I have two pieces of info:

1: /console maxfps 30 (this limits the frames to 30. set to 0 for unlimited frames)

2: http://forums.wow-eu...t...70481&sid=1

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Yeah I have. With the expansion recently released it's hard to gauge since everyone that USED to play is again playing, but pre-Wrath I had about the same frames on a full server and a medium server. I'm at school and my internet here is surprisingly good (hard-wired, not wireless) even more so than at home.

Would setting a max FPS prevent some of the weird fluctuations (going from 50-12 FPS does seem to slow the game for a while)? And I'll try the stuff in that forum post this weekend!

Thanks Star, I'll post up my results when I've done all that!

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
Yes, maxfps can level out your performance. For cod4, I know I can get over 130 fps, but that is only occasionally. Depending on the map, location, enviroment, and number of players can all cause fps to fluctuate greatly. For cod4 I always set mine at maxfps 90. For wow, I would try maxfps 30 and see if that helps.

dragontree

dragontree

• Pip
  • 5 posts
it uses only 40mb of ram? Did you mean 400? 40 is way too little, something must me wrong there too.
Sorry to say that i have no idea how to help you but dont give up. My PC is weaker than yours and i run at maximum settings (exept the shadows) and get around 60 fps. So you should be able to fix it:)

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts

it uses only 40mb of ram? Did you mean 400? 40 is way too little, something must me wrong there too.
Sorry to say that i have no idea how to help you but dont give up. My PC is weaker than yours and i run at maximum settings (exept the shadows) and get around 60 fps. So you should be able to fix it:)

Yeah that's the strange part. And no, the 40 is total addon memory, including Blizzard's built in utilities as well as the ones I've added (split about half/half). My drivers are up to date and everything so it's incredibly baffling why I'm barely pulling 30 FPS here.

Blood Elemental

Blood Elemental

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
In Wrath they did something to improve quality of the shadows as well as overall graphic quality. I noticed that if I turned the shadow quality setting all the way to the minimum, it improved the fps quite a bit.

dragontree

dragontree

• Pip
  • 5 posts

In Wrath they did something to improve quality of the shadows as well as overall graphic quality. I noticed that if I turned the shadow quality setting all the way to the minimum, it improved the fps quite a bit.

yea, shadows are a big thing. I have 60 fps with minimum and 5 with maximum settings

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts

"Keep in mind I have everything about as low as it can go and am holding about a constant 28 without doing anything."

Although I appreciate your support I have mentioned that with EVERYTHING off/low I can still only get about 30 FPS. I'm wondering if it's a CPU load issue and if some invis. background program is really affecting it. The internet is fantastic here at school so I know it's not that.

Edited by BlackPandemic, 02 December 2008 - 02:29 PM.

Advertisements

Deiske

Deiske

• Pip
  • 5 posts
Not sure if this will help you, but it helped me and its quick and easy. Try cleaning out your system of dust and what have you just give it a once-over with some canned air. An also make sure your system is being properly ventalated. This is one thing people commonly over look and can help out a great deal at times.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Not sure if this will help you, but it helped me and its quick and easy. Try cleaning out your system of dust and what have you just give it a once-over with some canned air. An also make sure your system is being properly ventalated. This is one thing people commonly over look and can help out a great deal at times.

Yeah my temps aren't that bad so I know it's not overheating or anything. I talked to a bud who plays here at school and he has similar (yet different) problems as well. It seems like WoW might just be very picky about how it works with certain cards. Who knows -shrugs- I'm out of ideas.

Blood Elemental

Blood Elemental

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
What you should do is try running another 3d rendered game like Halflife 2 and check if your fps is also slow in the other game.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
I can play Far Cry 2 on high and Fallout 3 on near maximum.

Blood Elemental

Blood Elemental

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Not sure if this will help but I found it on another forum:

One other thing: in your
"World of Warcraft\What the..." folder, is a file named "Config.What the...". Open it with wordpad and try changing the

SET gxApi "opengl"
to
SET gxApi "direct3d"
or vise versa.

If that line isn't there, add it. And make sure you have the latest directx installed from the microsoft website.