Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

win2000 to xp

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a compaq E700 laptop that I just bought. The Floppy drive, cd, worked fine. It had win 2000 on it, and it worked fine. But w2000 does not have a SYSTEM RESTORE prog. Win XP does and I need that prog. So I attempted to load xp over W2000 as a dual operating system. MY laptop has a 13.5 gig hd and about 190,000 mb of memory. The first time I did it win xp was a bad load. so I tried again and made a mistake of formatting the hd with ntsf. The first time I did not.

Needeless to say , now I have absolutely NOTHING.

Each time I try to load xp, now on the 10 th try, I get a very quick flashing note and then the puter begins to reinstall. This is the vicious circle that I am now facing.

The best I can read the flashed note is as follows.
"a write operation in an attempt..... to complete.....after .... the API"
the ..... = missing words. It flashes to fast and connot be read.

The second problem.

After initializing the f 10 button to get to the bios, I changed the boot sequence from Hard drive to both the cd and the floppy.

I have a beautiful floppy which has on it means to fdisk, format and load to the c drive the initial startup progs. Now I cannot get to the floppy. I get an error code "Remove all media and click any key to continue.

I have original win 95, win98, win98s and xp cd's. I do not have win 2000.

I just tried to format, using the xp cd to non ntsf, hoping I might be able to install win 95 or 98. That also failed.

Now I am staring at a black useless laptop. I NEED HELP>!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,302 posts
Where do you stand at this time?
For anything to work, you need the CD or the floppy to work.