Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

strange colors when booting

• Please log in to reply

macfreeman7

macfreeman7

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
Hello,

I haven't posted here in several years. Someone helped me with my computer then, and everything worked out great. Good to see the site is still up!

I've been having a very strange issue happen to me lately. When my computer boots back up from stand by mode or hibernate, sometimes my screen is full of hundreds of colored bars that are blinking. They are vertical bars. I can't do anything to it except turn off my computer manually. The mouse is not visible on the screen. It looks rather scary. Today, upon having to push my off/on button because it happened again, I got this:

"The last attempt to restart the system from its previous location failed. Attempt to restart again?

- Delete restoration data and proceed to system boot menu
- Continue with system restart"

I clicked system restart, and it brought me back to my desktop as normal. Any thoughts?

Thank you!

Advertisements

Alis Volat Propiis

Alis Volat Propiis

• Pip
  • 3 posts
What kind of computer is it? The error is indicating that it is not coming out of hibernation properly. Are all your drivers up to date especially your video driver?

macfreeman7

macfreeman7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
This is an old desktop, Dell Dimension 4550. It's been a long time since I've needed to troubleshoot. I'm pretty sure I updated my video driver relatively recently; these strange screens have only appeared this week for the first time. How would I go about finding out if most of my drivers are up to date? Device manager?

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

When my computer boots back up from stand by mode or hibernate

Your best option - don't use any of Windows power saving features. They're simply not 100% reliable.

macfreeman7

macfreeman7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
OK, heh that makes sense. Is there any other reason anyone can think of? Has it ever happened to anyone else?

Mathax

Mathax

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
Yes I have this happen all the time on my older laptop I just fixed. Sometimes it will come out of sleep mode fine other times I get a whole bunch colors like you have. Other times I have a black screen. Both the times a restart works fine.

macfreeman7

macfreeman7

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
Interesting. I think I realized something with mine. I think it happens to me only when I put my computer on hibernate, then turn off my entire surge protector. Upon reboot, I get the problem. I think that's what causes it.