Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

error loading operating system

• Please log in to reply

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Let's leave it right there for the moment. We have a Dell support person on staff here and I'm going to ask him to look in on this topic when he logs in.

I think it's best that he have a look before we go into this much deeper.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
He should be here shortly...... :)

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Hi wkd_chick, welcome to Geeks to Go! I'm just doing some research here, but letting you know I'm reviewing this topic.

Can you tell me what diagnostics you ran, and how you accessed them?

Also, if you are the original owner of the computer, or you know the name or company under which the laptop was purchased, please chat in to Dell technical support and request media for an operating system reinstallation, specifically a Windows XP CD and a Drivers and Utilities CD. I'm not saying we'll have to reinstall the operating system, but you'll end up needing the CD at some point.

Can you please open up the BIOS by tapping <F2> as the laptop starts up, and arrow down to Device Info? You'll see a line that says "Hard Drive", tell me everything on that line.

wkd_chick

wkd_chick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
not sure if I am looking in the right place, I got into bios and I can't find where it says device info. I ran the diagnostics through the boot menu .... F12. I bought the laptop from a friend so I am not the original owner.

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Let's make sure I'm on the same page. Is your BIOS green and black, or blue and yellow?

Let's try running those diagnostics again. Run the diagnostics through the <F12> menu, and it should get you into the Utility Partition, which is a gray window on a blue screen. Select Custom Test, then find the Hard Drives section. Click the (+) sign next to Hard Drives, then the (+) sign next to your hard drive. Don't worry, there will only be one. Then click on the name of your hard drive again so it is highlighted, and press the Run Tests button in the bottom left corner. This will take a while, but you'll need to sit at your laptop the whole time and watch for any error codes. Please write down any errors you do find and post them back up here.

Good luck!

Edited by The Admiral, 08 November 2008 - 08:56 PM.

wkd_chick

wkd_chick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
hi,
my bios screen is green and black.
I tried to do what you said but the diagnostic test just went straight on, there was no grey window or any option to do a custom test, it just went straight on with it. I will run the whole test and let you know how I get on

wkd_chick

wkd_chick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
actually I feel dumb now, it went through a short test then the gray box came up ...... now testing

wkd_chick

wkd_chick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
hi, I have run the test and everything passed with no errors

wkd_chick

wkd_chick

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
please help