Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't use recovery console to fix logon, logoff loop.

• Please log in to reply

KazmKazm

KazmKazm

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Recently installed broadband in my new house, downloaded all the system updates (30 of them, haven't had internet in a while) rebooted and found myself stuck in a loop where every time I log on to any screen name, it logs me off immediately.

Now, all the solutions I've seen say I need the 'Winxp' disc. The only disc I have is the reinstall eMachines disc. When I start the PC with the disc inside it goes straight to a menu that says:
1. Reinstall XP
2. Boot to command prompt.

When I use option 2, up comes a line beginning with A\>... None of the other solutions work if I try inputting the code there... any ideas? Is it the wrong disc or...?
Thanks.
Kii

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
You can select Option 1, but be aware, that your computer will be returned to its original state - all data, and installed programs will be lost.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Kil
Start your machine and start tapping F8.
You should have an option to boot to safe mode - last good configuration etc etc.
Try last good config, if that does not work try safe mode.
If you can get in via safe mode.
Click on start > all programs> accessories>system tools >system restore.
Choose restore my computer to a previous state and pick a date befor your updates.
Cheers
Peterm

KazmKazm

KazmKazm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yeah, unfortunately I can't log in in safe mode either. Reading other people posts who seem to have similar problems, I think my userinit.exe or my wsaupdater.exe has been deleted. I have instructions on how to solve this problem by using recovery console, but the disc that came with the PC doesn't give me an option to use it.

Anyway, if worse comes to worst and I have to re-install windows, what would be the best way to get all the files off my HDD? I got holiday photos, business information etc. that I really don't want to lose...

Thanks.
Kii.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Do you have access to another computer that you can can put the drive into as a slave.
Then you can copy all the data off. Or do you have access to an external drive.
If you can access an external drive you could make an UBCD4WIN which will boot your computer.
Then copy all the data off then we try to repair your system by trying to replace the 2 files.
Cheers
Peterm

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
If you can borrow a XP cd of the same flavor (home or pro) you can accomplish the same thing.

KazmKazm

KazmKazm

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
To peterm:- I have another PC, but it an old Windows 95 and, taking it apart last night, I found out the the ribbon doesn't have a slave adaption. The one in my new PC has a slave adaption, but would this work if I put all the cables in the old PC? Would the old PC recognise the extra drive?

To 123Runner:- Would it have to be a basic XP disc, not desigated to any make of PC, or would a disc designated to a certain make work?

Thanks.
Kii.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Would the disk in the 95 machine have enough space for you files. I doubt it and 95 won't read ntfs
However we are not sure your drive is ntfs. I don't suppose you would know ?
By chance does your broken computer have a floppy drive?
What blade runner suggest is ok and you just need a retail version of xp.
You have to becareful because recovery console does not always work with all oem's tha'ts why it is not on the original disk.

Cheers
Peterm

Edited by peterm, 09 November 2008 - 01:12 AM.

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
since you can get to a prompt with the recovery cd i wonder if we can re extract the files we need from the recovery cd
at the a prompt type in c: and then press enter
does it change from a: to c:?
if it does try d: press enter.
cheers
peterm

peterm

peterm

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 3,387 posts
Hi Kil
did you manage to get to D:> if yes
Type the following commands:

D: [ENTER]
CD I386 [ENTER]
EXPAND USERINIT.EX_ C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 [ENTER]

also do this for the wsaupdater.exe.
EXPAND WSAUPDATER.EX_C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 [ENTER]
CHEERS
PETERM

kevinnnnn

kevinnnnn

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am having the same problem as this.

Can I bump this one... (I can't seem to start a topic right now).

I have a laptop, so I dont know if I would be able to slave the hard drive, even just to backup my data?

For me, I have the logon logoff loop, and when i try to access recovery console, or even reformat (which I don't wish to do), I get the message:

"setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer"

I've spent my last four evenings looking over posts on this and other sites trying to fix this.. I have a lot of important files.

Any advice?

kevinnnnn

kevinnnnn

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Forgot to mention, I am using XP SP3 Media Center Edition.

I used boot disks to try to fix the registry, but found no entries for userinit.

Please help