Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Need help

• Please log in to reply

Seba641

Seba641

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
Hi I have a small problem with my computer which is running Vista 32-bit. Every time when I completely turn off my computer 1-2 sec after power goes off my computer turn its self back on. I don't know why my computer does that and I would like to fix that problem since I have to wait for my computer to turn off and turn back on after 1-2 sec so I can turn it off manually by holding power button. Please help me.

Advertisements

Dwight

Dwight

• PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
Hi, I don't know if this will help but make sure automatically restart is unchecked.
right click on computer, open properties, then open Advanced system settings,
go to Startup and Recovery, click on settings, then uncheck Automatically restart.

Dwight

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
The above concerns only restarting on error.
We don't have any info about any error popping up.

Edited by Broni, 07 November 2008 - 11:08 PM.

Seba641

Seba641

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
There are no errors or any such things like that. The only problem that I have is when I turn off my computer it turns back on after 1-2 sec being off. Everything happens like normal computer turn off process, but power comes but on instead of staying off like it should do.

I have another question since I think it might help solve this problem.

Every time when I turn on my computer it goes on like it should go but my monitor doesn't display anything and that "bip" sounds its not happening... my computer kinda has to run for like 2-3 min after when I have to manually turn it off and turn it back on to display anything on my monitor and for that "bip" sound to occur.

System Spec:

Processor: AMD Phenom 9500
RAM: 4GB RAM DDR 2
HDD: 750 GB HDD (1 500gb and 1 250gb)
Motherboard: Biostar TA770 A2+
Graphic Card: ATI Radeon HD 2900 PRO
Sound Card: Creative Audigy

I did bios update but the one that was released was buggy, biostar cant make the right bios update :)

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Firstly, what was the reason to update BIOS? It's very rarely necessary.
Then...
Since you're not getting any beeps, that means, your computer doesn't pass POST (Power On Self Test).
My first suspect would be power supply.
How old is this computer? What power supply do you have (wattage)? What brand of computer?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi guys...pardon the intrusion...

If Windows encounters a fatal error during the shutdown routine, it will restart. To find out if that is the case here, go ahead and use Dwight's instructions to disable the automatic restart function and then try shutting down the machine. If a fatal shutdown error occurs, you will get the dreaded BSOD and will be able to gather some information about what has caused the error.

Post the error code and any file names that appear if this happens. If you don't get a BSOD, you can re-enable the automatic restart function.

wannabe1

Seba641

Seba641

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Firstly, what was the reason to update BIOS? It's very rarely necessary.
Then...
Since you're not getting any beeps, that means, your computer doesn't pass POST (Power On Self Test).
My first suspect would be power supply.
How old is this computer? What power supply do you have (wattage)? What brand of computer?

It's a custom build computer and it's not that old... hmmm I think i have this computer since mid Feb early March 2008.
My power supply was 550 watt but I have recently changed to to 750 watt. I have updated BIOS, because one of my friends told me that he had the same problem and after updating BIOS his problem went away, but my problem still occurs.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Your two issues (self restart, and no beep) may, or may not be connected, so let's do some more testing.
With computer off, open the case, remove RAM, and video card (if any), clean contacts with eraser, put them back.
Start computer.
Also, if you have more then one RAM stick, try starting computer with one stick at a time.

As for self restart....
See, if same thing happens in Safe Mode.
Another thing to try...
Go Start>Run (Start Search in Vista), type in:
msconfig
Click OK (hit Enter in Vista).

Click on Startup tab.
Click Disable all

Click Services tab.
Put checkmark in Hide all Microsoft services
Click Disable all.

Click OK.
Restart computer in Normal Mode.

Edited by Broni, 09 November 2008 - 10:23 AM.