Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sitecom WL-011 v2 wireless PCMCIA card

• Please log in to reply

Robster the Lobster

Robster the Lobster

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
I am trying to set up a wireless connection between my SpeedTouch 716 v5 DSL modem router and a laptop with a Sitecom WL-011 v2 wireless PCMCIA card, but so far I have been unsuccessful. The Sitecom WL-011 v2 is correctly installed under Windows XP Home and is detecting the SpeedTouch 716 v5 with excellent signal strength. I know that both the modem and the wireless card are working perfectly. I believe that I have entered all the correct settings and I am using the correct WEP hex key. But I just cannot establish a connection.

Can these two pieces of hardware communicate? Does anyone have a suggestion as to how I can get this connection to work?

Please help!

Rob Stuart

Advertisements

phillip22

phillip22

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Are you sure the router is using WEP encryption and not WPA-PSK encryption? If it's the latter, you have to select that option in the wireless-card software so it knows which of the two is being used by the router. Also be aware that WEP Keys & WPA-PSK passwords are case-sensitive.

If you're sure the router is using WEP, and the two keys match exactly (same case), try disabling wireless security altogether in the router's configuration just to see if that works. At least then you'll know for sure that it's an encryption problem.

Robster the Lobster

Robster the Lobster

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 24 posts
Thanks, problem solved! :) Indeed, I discovered that the router was set to WPA-PSK, not WEP encryption. The build-in WiFi card in our other laptop can handle that, but the Sitecom WiFi card does not support WPA-PSK. Now that I have set the router and both WiFi cards to WEP, everything is working perfectly, including file-sharing between the two laptops.