Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Dell Dimension E310, no power, no POST, no video

• Please log in to reply

hightechgeek

hightechgeek

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Dell Dimension E310

• Depressing power button does nothing
  • PSU fan does not spin
  • CPU fan does not spin
  • Hard drive does not activate or spin up

Re-seated all cables and RAM on motherboard
No front panel lights activate or flash

GOOD SIGNS:
!! Tested Power Supply with tester and it tests GOOD !!
!! AUX PWR LED on motherboard (inside case) glows amber whenever PC is plugged in !!

Removed front panel assembly that contains power button, light bars and 2 USB ports. This assembly has a ribbon cable that runs to the motherboard.
Depressing power button directly effects no change (compared to pushing button on front panel that has a plastic arm that presses this power button)

QUESTION:
How can I tell if the ribbon cable or the motherboard is bad?
The cable appears in tact. The motherboard has a single AUX PWR light that lights when the unit is plugged in.)
Are there any other steps you can recommend to start up the PC other than by depressing the power button?
Are there other ways to test the motherboard?

I have removed all cards and drives except the main hard drive and 1 stick of RAM. No change.

Thanks,
Dan

Advertisements

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Props to Samm for these instructions.

Let's make sure that the power supply actually is okay. We're going to bypass the power switch, and see if we can turn the power supply itself.

1) Disconnect the main external power lead, then disconnect ALL of the PSU cables inside the computer. i.e. disconnect the power from the motherboard, drives etc. Leave the power connected to the CD/DVD drive however.

2) Next, find a bare metal paperclip. Straighten the paperclip out then bend it into a tight U shape.

3) Get the main ATX power connector, which should already be disconnected (this is the 20 or 24 pin rectangular plastic connector that plugs into the motherboard). Look for the single green wire.

4) Once you have located this wire, plug the external power lead back in to the rear of the PSU

5) The LED on the motherboard should now be lit up as normal.

6) Insert one end of the paperclip into the underside of the ATX connector where the green wire is. Insert the other end into the underside of any one of the black wires. Make sure you push the paperclip in as far as it will go.

This will bridge the soft power connector (the same as pressing the power switch on the front of the computer). This is only to test the power supply, not anything else. If the power supply fan spins up, we know that the power supply or power source isn't bad.

Post back with the results!

hightechgeek

hightechgeek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Thanks for the quick reply!

I don't understand one thing:

Step 5 says the light on the motherboard should be lit, but there is no step that says to plug anything back into the motherboard.

If everything is unplugged from the motherboard, how could the light be lit?

The only possible route for power to the mobo would be through the CD player's IDE cable.

Is that how it works, or is there a missing step?

-Dan

Also, I have a power supply tester like this one...

http://www.emergingt.../logos/psd1.png

...and I tested all the Molex, floppy, SATA, 4-pin power and 24-pin power connectors. They all tested good and the PSU fan comes on when connected to the PSU tester.

Also 2!
That's great to know about bridging the pins on the power supply! I'll try it after I get your reply about my confusion... :)

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
No, sorry, there shouldn't be a flea power LED lit on the motherboard. I think that same issue was addressed in the thread from which I grabbed these instructions. Please try that paperclip trick again. :)