Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

External drive disappears

• Please log in to reply

wowmanjim

wowmanjim

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have a few older hard drive from PCs past. I bought an external case to hook up these "internal" drives to perform as an external drive. The case has both USB and Firwire connection capabilities and it's own power supply.

I hook it all up...explore and/or disk manager see the drive for a fleeting few seconds and then...poof its gone!!! After restarting and re-plugging in the ext drive, it sometimes shows up , but mostly not...and when it does show, it's only for a few seconds to a minute. I was able to see folders, etc. on the drive, but by the time I try to delete or open any of them...the drive is no longer recognized.

The same thing happens for any of the drives I try to put in the case. It alos happens whether I use the USB or the FW.

Any ideas???

Advertisements

phillip22

phillip22

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
I'm guessing the jumper configuration is wrong on the drive's back panel. The jumper should be set as 'Master' (which on some brands requires the jumper to be in the inactive position, whilst on other brands it could be different). Check the label on the drive which should indicate where the jumper needs to be for 'master'.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Once, I bought drive enclosure, which was bad straight from the box.
Exchange it.

Edited by Broni, 08 November 2008 - 10:18 PM.

GregMiller

GregMiller

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Setting the jumper to master is one of the major steps outlined in the installation guides that come with these enclosures. It can't be missed. When someone has taken HDs out of their computer, I think considering the jumpers is one of the basic, main considerations.