Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Corner of desktop always shows last window... confusing and annoying&#

• Please log in to reply

Jack W-H

Jack W-H

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
Ok folks,

Lately, past couple of weeks, the top left corner of my desktop always shows a small box of what has just been opened, if you get what I mean... looking at the screenshot will probably explain it. Although it isn't urgent it is annoying. I can remove it by clicking the "Show Desktop" thing in the Quick Launch but that only works once before it comes back again. I'm wondering how to fix it?

I'm running Windows XP Media Center edition, Intel Pentium 4, 1 GB RAM, screen res 1280x1024 (thats why the screenie is low quality, cos it's resized). The only culprit I can really think of is a new graphics card - NVIDIA GeForce 7900, 256mb... I installed this quite recently but I was doing ok after it installed without that error...

Thanks y'all!

Screenshot: error.jpg

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Any chance you have a tool bar or add-on installed recently? Or installed software and didn't use Custom to uncheck an un-wanted install of something?

Edited by Major Payne, 08 November 2008 - 09:32 AM.

Jack W-H

Jack W-H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Hmmm, toolbars... well a few weeks ago I installed the Google Sidebar with a few gadgets, but found it impractical and slightly annoying so I don't run it anymore (although it is still installed on my system)... I'll try uninstalling and seeing what happens.

Sorry for my stupidity. What do you mean by "Custom", and what sort of add-ons are you referring to?

Thanks.

Jack W-H

Jack W-H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
I now have no google sidebar but I still have an annoying block in the corner of my desktop!

GAAHH!

I'll keep checking for software I don't need and uninstalling potential nasty things.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

Sorry for my stupidity. What do you mean by "Custom", and what sort of add-ons are you referring to?

Thanks.

On some installation you are provided a choice to install the normal, quick way without interruption nor knowledge of what is getting installed with the program you want or to check the Custom box and see/pick what you want to install. Some software programs install tool bars or additional stuff you don't really want.

The add-ons are the one for Firefox that many people like to make their Internet experience safer/nicer/smoother, etc..

Jack W-H

Jack W-H

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 86 posts
Oh ok, thanks for the help. However I have now solved it! Hoorah!

Uninstalling google sidebar didn't help but I also uninstalled ClocX, a desktop clock, which for some reason didn't run anymore - looking in my task manager it was open all the time but not displaying. I think that must have moved itself to the top left corner of the desktop and was just invisible and mirroring any open windows. But now it's uninstalled, and, after a restart, I no longer have this problem :)

Thank you!

~ Jack

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
So glad you got it solved and thank you for posting the solution. I forgot to add to the Firefox bit about add-ons to include any little programs that people add-on to include those little utilities like PostIt software and other programs that provide functions not normally found. Most of those are like widgets that might or might not be useful, but do chew up resources.