Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

start up issues

• Please log in to reply

topcarp2

topcarp2

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
can some one please advise on what could be wrong?.ill explain everything thats happening .

when i boot the pc up from cold i get the blue screen of death saying something about a memory dump.this happens about 5 minutes after starting the pc
i'll switch the pc off and then back on and it loads up after about 15 minutes but i have not a single desktop icon
then ill turn the pc off and immediately back on and it loads ok with all the desktop icons but when i try to open anything it takes forever
i have done a de-frag,run a malwarebytes scan,run a superantispyware scan,run a adware se scan,run a scan from norton 2008 and all seems fine
ive checked in msconfig and the only application thats ticked is ccApp.
i just dont know whats wrong or what to do next

i dont know if this is worth mentioning but when the pc has been running for about 1 hour and i either shut down and then start it up or just go for a restart then it starts normally with no blue screen and the desktop icons come up 1st time..this takes about 5 mins

Advertisements

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Try downloading Ccleaner and run it. This removes temporary files and also cleans out the registry. Try that and see if the speed issues are resolved at all.

topcarp2

topcarp2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
ive downloaded ccleaner and run it
it didn't take much time to run through it so i guess there were not many issues for it to resolve
i'll monitor the pc performance over the next day and let you know if i still have issues

thanks very much for oyur help

Edited by topcarp2, 08 November 2008 - 04:20 PM.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

i get the blue screen of death saying something about a memory dump

"Something" won't do in order to help you.
You need to post full error message.

topcarp2

topcarp2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
thanks for that
the next time i get the blue screen ill note what it says and post it correctly

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
You could have some system files not loading correctly or the start of a failing hard drive. You can run the manufacturer of the drive diagnostics (link in signature).
If you do not know the manufacturer, you can look at the drive or run Belarc or Everest from my signature.

Its somewhat odd that it runs better after it warms up.

Check in device manager for any unknown drivers.

topcarp2

topcarp2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
ok i run belarc and the only thing it says is thet i have 2 updates that are required and that one of my hard drives is not "smart"
i do have a yellow question mark in device manager but it gave me no more details so i disabled it
i have not had the blue screen of death today but the pc still takes ages to boot up and respond to any command

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

i do have a yellow question mark in device manager but it gave me no more details so i disabled it

You shouldn't do it. What does it say? Uknown device, or..?

topcarp2

topcarp2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
at the side of the yellow question mark it simply says "unknown device"
i have not added any hardware to the machine if this helps in any way

ok the pc has been shut down for 20hrs since yesterday and i come to start it approx 1 hour ago and got the blue screen again
this is the code it said on the blue screen
stop: oxoooooof4 oxooooooo3 ox83053020 0x83053194 ox805fa1fo

have i given you the correct information?
thanks

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
What is the device that the "unknown " show up under. Such as computer/ disk drives/ display/ ide controller/ network, etc.

This could be the cause of the blue screen.

Advertisements

topcarp2

topcarp2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
the yellow questionmark is at the side of "other devices"
if i right click where it says "unknown device" then go to "properties" then "details" the following is what is written
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2562&SUBSYS_25621458&REV_03\3&13COB0C5&0&10

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
You may have two different issues, or they may be connected. It's hard to say at this point.
As for that "unknown device" try couple of freebies, and see, if any of them can identify the device:
Unknown Device Identifier: http://www.zhangduo.com/udi.html
Unknown Devices: http://www.halfdone....UnknownDevices/ (get new beta version)

Also, run memtest: http://www.techspot....topic62524.html

topcarp2

topcarp2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
none of the above links seem to find the driver issue :)
i have put the memtest files to a cd and now have an issue with the bios settings
when i go in bios and alter the boot up from hdd to cd and select exit and save the pc boots up in normal mode and not from the cd
ive had to do this kind of thing before because i once had to format and reload windows from the disk but this was a year ago and when i changed the boot sequence in bios then it did as i asked it
it does not matter one bit which device i ask it to boot from 1st hdd,floppy,cd ets it just starts up as normal

help im goin stir crazy...lol

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

it just starts up as normal

Are you watching your computer screen, when computer starts?
At some point, you should see a message:
Press any key to boot from CD
Also, when you go back to BIOS, is CD drive still selected as first boot device?

topcarp2

topcarp2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
yes i am watching the computer screen and press any key when the prompt is there,the computer does not respond to this and just boots up as normal.if i go back into bios the first boot device is still cd..