Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

start up issues

• Please log in to reply

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Is this USB keyboard?

Advertisements

topcarp2

topcarp2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
yes the keyboard is usb...
thankyou for bieng so patient and giving me this help

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Hey, no problem.
USB keyboard may be your problem. Try PS/2 keyboard:
Posted Image

topcarp2

topcarp2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
swapped to ps2 keyboard and its still exactly the same result
sorry to be a pain !

ToKnowNot

ToKnowNot

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi;

I remember that I encountered similar problems ( running for 1-2hrs all of sudden got DEATH screen); the problem was that the Internet connection - the way I connect to my ISP; As you see, I installed that application that my ISP provided, somehow, that app drivers had conflict with the Windows XP (SP1,SP2, AND SP3); since then, I used Windows XP Sp2, SP3 configuration to connect to my ISP, and the problem disappeared.
I believed the service is called "PPPOE"

Hope that help.

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
Have you checked, if your CD drive is working properly?

topcarp2

topcarp2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
i have two cd drives and both are working fine.do you think that the problem could be due to a failing ram card? driver issue or could it be more severe..i have to say during the past few days i have not had the BSoD but still got the really slow boot up issues and slow response to anything i try to open

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts
If you have more than one RAM stick, try starting computer with one stick at a time.

topcarp2

topcarp2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
i have tried that and there is no difference in performance
what i cant understand it why it wont boot from cd when its selected in bios

my computer speed is 333mhz does this mean my ram sticks will also be 333 because i cannot see a speed written on tham

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

i have put the memtest files to a cd

Stupid question on this. Did you make the CD for memtest a bootable CD? Have you tried another known and good CD that is bootable to see if it works?

Have you down anything about the unknown device? It is related to a PCI device/ controller. A google search on "PCI\VEN_8086" came up with some items where it is related to quite a few devices.
LOOK HERE.
I think you should try searching and installing from your motherboard driver CD.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

• 12,300 posts

my computer speed is 333mhz does this mean my ram sticks will also be 333

333MHz is your processor speed. Memory type/speed depends on your motherboard type.

topcarp2

topcarp2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
i still cant find out what the unknown device is and dont have the driver disc for my motherboard,ive run the belarc advisor and all is in order there ive run pc pitstop and my graphix card driver has a newer version available but apart from that its all ok.
i dont know if the memtest disc is bootable as i dont have another bootable disc to try and not sure what to look for or use regarding a bootable disc.
thanks for the help and being patient with me

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Do you know whether or not the CD drive works?
Will it read any CD?
The most common problems for not booting from a cd are:
1. Not the first boot device.
2. Not a bootable cd.
3. Missing the "boot from CD" message on startup.

Memtest86 is a standalone memory diagnostic tool that runs from a CD on system boot. It executes a series of numbered test sections to check for errors. These test sections consist of a combination of test algorithm, data pattern and cache setting. The execution order for these tests were arranged so that errors will be detected as rapidly as possible. Tests 8, 9, 10 and 11 are very long running extended tests and are only executed when extended testing is selected. Memtest86 supports all types of memory and can be run on any operating system. You will download an ISO file that you can burn to CD.

Did you burn the iso file using nero or similar software, such as Burncdcc?
Can you try that disk for memtest on another computer?

Can you give us the motherboard manufacturer? We can then search for some drivers.

topcarp2

topcarp2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
today the pc really went awol.it would not boot up at all so i formatted and reinstalled windows,i know its a bit drastic but nothing was lost due to all my important work being on another drive

thanks everybody for all your help

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Curious.
Did this resolve all the issues that you had in this post?