Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

start up issues

• Please log in to reply

topcarp2

topcarp2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
no im afraid its just as bad
i replaced and upgraded the memory incase it was a problem
last night it was running fine but this morning it took 30 mins to boot up in the following stages

1.. first boot gave me desktop only
2..reboot gave me desktop and desktop icons
3..another reboot gave me desktop ,desktop icons and taskbar
all this took half hour to complete
the pc is running fine now but very slow and i dare not shut it down... :)
incidentally i have issues yet again in the device manager as follows..

i have 2 yellow question marks ..one is "multimedia audio controller"
in the details tab it says "device instance ld and gives the following code
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_24C5&SUBSYS_A0021458&REV_02\3&13COB0C5&0&FD

the other yellow question mark is "video controller" again in the details tab it says "device instance ld" and the following code
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2562&SUBSYS_25621458&REV_03\3&13COBOC5&0&10

god knows whats happened but its not running any quicker at all despite boosting memory from 512 at 333mhz to 760 at 400mhz

Edited by topcarp2, 18 November 2008 - 11:55 AM.

Advertisements

topcarp2

topcarp2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
ok here's the latest
ive had a friend look over my pc and it turns out that i had installed windows over the old version without formatting...doh !!
anyway the pc has now been formatted and a fresh installation of xp home has been put on
my friend run a programme which tests all the hardware and no faults at all were found
my computer has onboard sound and graphics but the graphics come from a nvidia geforce 5200 card for which the driver is installed correctly
i know i have put 256meg of more memory on it but i have changed it from the 333mhz to 400mhz.are these better memory cards,do they run faster or is it all down to the motherboard
the pc is running fine now but i still have the 2 yellow question marks in the device manager which are exactly as i posted before..this is even after a fresh install

sorry for the long reply but just trying to find out about the memory change and the yellow question marks

one more thing...i have 2 hard drives on my pc...one is running windows and the other is for anything else..does it matter that the one running windows is fat32 and the other is ntfs

thanks in advance

Edited by topcarp2, 20 November 2008 - 11:44 AM.

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

my friend run a programme which tests all the hardware and no faults at all were found

the pc is running fine now but i still have the 2 yellow question marks in the device manager which are exactly as i posted before

If all hardware is good and operating properly, then you should show NO question marks in device manager.

i have changed it from the 333mhz to 400mhz.are these better memory cards,do they run faster or is it all down to the motherboard

If the board and the bios want/ can only run at/ accept 333mhz, then the 400 will be backed down to that speed.

You really need to find out what the errors are.

Run belarc advisor (in my signature) and give us the info on the type of mother board. This has to be related to not having the chipset drivers installed.
Do you have a motherboard CD with the drivers?

topcarp2

topcarp2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
this is the info from belarc advisor on the main board..
unfortunately i do not have any cd or drivers for the board

Board: Gigabyte Technology Co., Ltd. 8LD533 1.x
Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. FA 10/06/2003

thanks again

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Go to http://www.gigabyte....?ProductID=1740 for all the info on your board.

I would start with the chipset drivers first.

topcarp2

topcarp2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
thankyou i will try this tomorrow

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
Better yet, give the download center a try at http://www.gigabyte....enter_List.aspx.
It searches for only the drivers needed.

topcarp2

topcarp2

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
ok pc is running fine now
i got rid of the yellow question marks by doin a search for the drivers from the previous link but the problem was a failing hard drive despite running a programme to check the hard drive which said it was fine i tried to norton ghost a copy of the hard drive to a dvd and it could not copy because of some portions of the drive it could not read or access
i put a new hard drive in reloaded windows and all is good

many thanks for your help everybody you have done another bloody good service

i think this topic can now be closed ...fingers crossed