Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Hard Disk Drive Write Error Claims Drive is Full When it Isn't

• Please log in to reply

Bus Stop Messiah

Bus Stop Messiah

• Pip
  • 1 posts
When I recently attempted to move some files to my external hard drive I got a message saying that it was full. When I checked the drive itself there are over 80GB left to be written. I've searched on the web and tried to solve this myself, but I have't had any luck, and I know next to nothing about computers, so hopefully someone here will be able to help me out.

Below I have attached some specs on my computer and images for both the error messages and a full screen diagnostic of the drive that I ran with windirstat.

If I'm posting this in the wrong place I would ask that the mod please relocate it to the proper area. Thanks!

Windows 98 SE
Pentium ® III
600mhz
256 RAM (128x2 SDRAM)

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Full Page scan of windirstat:
Posted Image

Advertisements

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
you are running windows 98se, it only recognizes drives up to around 130 -140 gb properly....

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts

you are running windows 98se, it only recognizes drives up to around 130 -140 gb properly....

I may be wrong, but I don't think, it applies to external drive.

Bus Stop Messiah
How big is the file, you're trying to move?
Normal limit for FAT32 is 4GB, but there is Shell32.dll glitch in Win 98 (http://support.micro...b;en-us;Q318293), which lowers that limit to 2GB.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts

I may be wrong, but I don't think, it applies to external drive.

Applies to all FAT32 drives as it's a limitation of the FAT32 file system. Windows 98 in theory can see any drive size you care to mention (FAT32 provides for up to 8 Terabytes on a drive with a maximum of 4Gb per file) however in reality Scandisk cannot see more than 125Gb of a hard drive, therefore if the drive develops a serious file error beyond this point it won't get repaired under Win98. Support above 137Gb is patchy under Windows 98 and older hardware as there is a serious disk of data loss.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• 12,300 posts
I see. Thanks :)