Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

test on board nic controller?

• Please log in to reply

Picky

Picky

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
What is the bet way to test an on board network controller on a laptop to see if it is working or maybe the software in stead. Thanks

Advertisements

phillip22

phillip22

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
Connect the laptop to a working router which has internet access, using cat5 cable. If the laptop now has internet access then the network adaptor on it is ok. There is no software required for the network adaptor other than Windows XP itself so that part of your question doesn't apply here.

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
That is what I thought, I can't connect through the nic controller. I can connect wireless, but the funny part is that I can only connect with netscape 8.0 and not IE 7 or Firefox. That is strange. I have eliminated the spyware focus, it is clean. I can't figure out why ie7 and firefox can't connect

phillip22

phillip22

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
May be a malware infection that Netscape is immune to. We usually recommend using HijackThis to reveal everything that's running on your PC.
Please go here and scroll down to "Step Five - Posting A HijackThis Log"

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
HI, I have figured out the problem, Someone had tried to remove Norton and didn't remove it all the way. I used the Norton removal tool and both IE and Firefox started working again. Thanks For your time.