Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

windows 2000 to xp (clean install)

• Please log in to reply

CorKey723

CorKey723

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have 2 laptops from a business i got for free. Both have windows 2000 installed on them. What i would like help with is this. What is the best and if possibly easiest way to go from 2000 to xp with a clean install of xp. Ive been trying with no avail. I dont want to dualboot either. Please help me if you can.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

Ive been trying with no avail

Could you elaborate on this? It gives us no place to start to be able to help.

Have you looked at the link REFORMAT AND INSTALL OF XP?
You do have a XP cd?

Edited by 123Runner, 08 November 2008 - 01:13 PM.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Also, make sure, laptops meet XP requirements (I mean, requirements not from M$ site, which is a joke).
BTW...Win 2K is a great OS.

CorKey723

CorKey723

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
yeah, i have an xp disk, but when i put it in for an upgrade, it just goes to new installation. ive been looking at stuff to try, like making a floppy boot disk, but that did nothing as i couldn't wipe the c drive. also it says directly on the laptop that it meets requirements for xp.

Murray S.

Murray S.

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,513 posts
  • MVP
Howdy:

You do realize you can only install XP on one of those systems using that cd. To install on the second one, you will need another license.

Just for clarification, are you trying to keep the files, etc already on the systems or end up with a clean install?

Murray

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts

but when i put it in for an upgrade, it just goes to new installation

I thought you wanted a clean install. thats what "new install" is. Based on what you are telling us, a new install is what you wanted.
You need to let it continue, wipe the drive and partition it. Follow the instructions as previously posted.

CorKey723

CorKey723

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Im good now, i was looking for a guide like the one posted earlier. I just had to disable the hard drive from trying to boot when i started with the disk in and it wiped it and is installing fine. :) I feel like an idiot. Sorry for the confusion from my above posts, its all going smooth now. Thank you.

Edited by CorKey723, 09 November 2008 - 04:00 PM.