Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Norton AV 2005 and Shutdown

• Please log in to reply

jlau

jlau

• Pip
  • 6 posts
I have loaded Norton AV 2005 on my computer and now my computer does not shutdown properly. When I shutdown my system, it goes to the windows screen that states it is shutting down and hangs up on that screen. I simply hit the power button to turn it off. When I turn it on next, it boots up fine without running scan disk like it would normally do when my computer is shutdown improperly. I have run msconfig and systematically added programs back to the startup. The computer reboots and shuts down fine during this process. So, I thought I fixed the problem. But as soon as I run any programs after starting my computer, it will not shutdown properly. I would appreciate any advise that you can give me.

Advertisements

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
why do you think its nav 2005? other than not shutting down are you getting any other errors?

starjax

jlau

jlau

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I believe it is Norton because the problem occurred right after I loaded it. I have also uninstalled it and the computer shuts down fine.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
do you have a usb drive or other external memory device installed or a floppy drive attached?

jlau

jlau

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I have a floppy drive in my computer. I have disabled Norton AntiVirus (NAV) floppy scanning but still facing issues while shut downing the computer.

starjax

starjax

Global Moderator

• Global Moderator
  • 6,678 posts
well I recommend that you uninstall it, then user this tool to make sure its completely removed. After that you can try to reinstall it and see what happens.

Starjax