Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DVD Drive crash

• Please log in to reply

Hammm

Hammm

• PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
i've had this problem for a little over two months now, and it's getting more and more annoying. it started after i reformatted my computer and installed windows XP pro again. every time i insert a CD/DVD into my DVD drive (it's a LiteOn one) the entire system becomes non-responsive. the mouse freezes, clt-alt-delete doesn't work. one test i usually use to check if the computer has crashed is the num lock key. computer doesn't respond to num lock, scroll lock or caps lock. the whole thing just stops. the screen continues to display whatever was present before the crash.

any ideas? i'm sorry there isn't much more info, because there aren't any symptoms other than a straight non-responsive computer. i always end up having to push the reset button. once it restarts, the DVD disc is readable and i can access the disc contents. if i pop it out then stick it back in, crash...i had the same drive before the reformat and it was fine.

any help would be greatly appreciated. i don't want to keep having to restart my computer just to change DVD discs.

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello Hammm...

As a first step, run the Autoplay Repair Wizard on the machine and see what it finds.

Let us know how it goes.

wannabe1

Hammm

Hammm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
ok, gave that a go. downloaded the repair wizard. ran it straight through and the error log came up as:

AutoFix [V5.2.3790.67]
Time [2008-11-09 12:28:09]
Microsoft Windows Version [5.1 (Service Pack 3) <2600>]

Test [The Shell Hardware Detection service is running.] - Instance [N/A]:
Result [AutoStart Setting]: OK
Result [The Shell Hardware Detection service is running.]: OK

Test [Policies] - Instance [G:\, Drive Type: 5]:
Result [HKCU\...\Policies!NoDrives]: OK {Absent}
Result [HKCU\...\Policies!NoDriveAutorun]: OK {Absent}
Result [HKCU\...\Policies!NoDriveTypeAutorun]: OK {Present}
Result [HKLM\...\Policies!NoDrives]: OK {Absent}
Result [HKLM\...\Policies!NoDriveAutorun]: OK {Absent}
Result [HKLM\...\Policies!NoDriveTypeAutorun]: OK {Absent}
Result [Driver level policies]: OK {
HKLM\...\Services\cdrom!Autorun (Present) <Allows>
HKLM\...\Services\cdrom\Parameters!Autorun (Absent) <Allows>
HKLM\System\CCS\Enum\...!AlwaysEnable (Absent) <Not set>
HKLM\System\CCS\Enum\...!AlwaysDisable (Absent) <Not set> }

Test [Drive Notification] - Instance [G:\, Drive Type: 5]:
Result [Legacy Notification]: Problems
Result [AutoPlay V2 Notification]: Problems {
Service (Silent)
Shell (Deaf) }
>> Repair << [Legacy AutoPlay Event]
Step: No steps to take.
Result: This AutoPlay setting cannot be fixed. Either the device is malfunctioning, or the wizard cannot determine the problem.
>> Repair << [Autoplay V2 Event]
Step: No steps to take.
Result: This AutoPlay setting cannot be fixed. Either the device is malfunctioning, or the wizard cannot determine the problem.

>> Required action: The wizard found problems but cannot fix them -> None

then, i reran the wizard but this time, following its suggestion of reproducing the AutoPlay problem. i ejected and the reinserted the CD disc and clicked run before it could crash. it ran about 10% before the computer crashed...

just curious, could it be SP3? i had it installed after the reformat.

Edited by Hammm, 08 November 2008 - 05:44 PM.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Yes...it's possible that SP3 might have done something. Did you happen to notice if the drive worked properly after the format, but before installing SP3?

Hammm

Hammm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Yes...it's possible that SP3 might have done something. Did you happen to notice if the drive worked properly after the format, but before installing SP3?

i can't be too sure, because i installed SP3 almost immediately after reformatting.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Do you have SP3 on disk or did you get it through Windows Update.

If you're game, I'd uninstall SP3 and see if the drive works as it should.

To avoid having to download the update every time you format or have problems with it, you can download the redistributable and burn it to cd.

SP3 For IT Professionals

Hammm

Hammm

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 203 posts
sorry for not replying. i've been pretty busy with exams. i got SP3 with windows update. so how would you go about uninstalling SP3? sorry if it's a dumb question. i happen to have made a restore point just before installing SP3, but that was well over 2 months ago. just wondering if i do a system restore, will all the data that i've downloaded/installed since then be removed as well? it'll be a pain trying to back everything up. is there another way of removing SP3?

Edited by Hammm, 18 November 2008 - 12:54 AM.