Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound Question

• Please log in to reply

hoopsman

hoopsman

• PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
Last night i was playing Far Cry 2(which is great) and i noticed that when i was using them with the game with my Sony MDR-V150's(which are average sound quality) i could hear many things that even with the sound cranked up on my Dell 5.1 Speaker system, i couldnt hear. i dont think that its my onboard Realtek HD sound, but it may be my speakers, as i think their quality may not have been that good in the first place.
Should i get a new 5.1 system? is it my integrated sound? some smart insight to this would be greatly appreciated
thx

Edited by hoopsman, 09 November 2008 - 02:29 PM.

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Is the sound bad only in that game? Did you try music CD? How about Windows sounds?

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Were your headphones plugged into the front of the computer, or into the sound card? There are a couple of likely causes, either your speakers being plugged in wrong, leading to the wrong sounds coming out of the wrong speakers, or the speakers not being properly configured from Windows to utilize all 6 channels.

Could you describe to me how the speakers are plugged into your computer?

Also, please perform the following steps to make sure the speakers are configured correctly, with the headphones unplugged (taken from the HP website):

Click the Start button, and type sound into the Start Search field.
Click Sound from the results under the Programs list.
Click on Speakers, then click the Configure button. This will bring up a list of available surround setups.
Select 5.1 Surround, then click on the Test button. Make sure you hear sound out of all five channels, and that the diagram on the screen matches the sounds that come out of the speakers.
Select Next, then finish the wizard.

Here is a link to the HP site from which I took these instructions. It is actually quite helpful, and might be worth reading through.

hoopsman

hoopsman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
ok. to answer broni's question, no, its not only in that game, but also in both the crysis games, and a little bit in mass effect, but mainly in crysis and far cry 2. windows sounds and music sounds fine.
To answer the admirals' question, i misphrased my original post, as i have no sound card and i am using onboard realtek HD audio.(sorry) and my headphones were plugged into the front of the case. and my speakers are just plugged into the green jack on the mobo. i am using a adapter that came with the dell speakers that takes the three different colored audio cables and puts them into one so its easier.
hope this helps, and that you guys can help me figure out what the right thing to do is
peace

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Did you follow the instructions in my post to make sure that the speakers are set up properly?

It's likely you got speakers that your computer can't handle, so the computer is just spitting out sound and hopes it gets to the right place.

hoopsman

hoopsman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
oh ya, sorry i forgot to tell you that i did run that test and sound sounded like it came out of all five channels, but i didnt hear a boom or anything from the subwoofer, and it was hard to tell where the sounds were coming from as it was kind of faint, but i think they came out of all the speakers nonetheless. i also remembered that in crysis and far cry 2, when i was talking to people, if i turn to the left, their voice comes out of the left speaker, and to the right, the right speaker. is that normal?
what can i do to get the best funcionality out of these speakers? music sounds fine, and my mobo says the sound supports up to 7.1.
thx

Edited by hoopsman, 10 November 2008 - 12:27 PM.

hoopsman

hoopsman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts
you know i think i fixed it. i, instead of using the dell adapter, just plugged the three cords into my onboard sound, and now it sounds great, just as good quality as my headphones. all because of that stupid adapter......... :)
to the two people who helped me, thanks and peace out

Edited by hoopsman, 12 November 2008 - 01:10 AM.

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Nice :)

The Admiral

The Admiral

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 1,067 posts
Good to hear you got it fixed!