Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows Live Messenger problem 81000306

• Please log in to reply

Jimma

Jimma

• Pip
  • 3 posts
When I log into my account on WLM it keeps coming up with:

"We were unable to sign you in to Windows Live Messenger, possibly because of a problem with the service or with your Internet connection. Please make sure that you are connected to the Internet.

To let us try and troubleshoot the problem, click the Troubleshoot button.

Error code: 81000306"

I then proceed to press troubleshoot and it passes all tests up to Key Ports... and comes up with:

"Failed to connect to the service. This could be due to improper proxy and firewall settings. Please review your proxy and firewall setting. Proxy settings can be accessed through Windows Live Messenger Options. For Firewall settings, please see the retailer's instructions."

I have a Gateway Laptop Model: MT6839b with Windows Vista Home Premium on a wireless connection from a NETGEAR DG834PN router, and I have been using the service for a year and about 5 months on this Laptop with no problems.

Along with messenger not working any webpage to do with msn does not load and this problem has also spread to the home desktop that is on the same router.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling about 5 times and this hasn't worked.

If I could get some help ASAP I would be thankful.

P.S. I'm not that technical so answers as simple as possible please :)

Advertisements

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
Is this a recent problem?

Jimma

Jimma

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Is this a recent problem?

Yes it started on my laptop around Wednesday (05/11/08) and started to affect the desktop on friday (07/11/08).

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
Did you make any changes? Not sure how to fix the problem.. For now you could try an MSN access program like:
Digsby
Miranda
They are much more secure too.

Edited by piano9playa5, 08 November 2008 - 09:05 PM.

Jimma

Jimma

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Dosen't matter anymore the problem has sorted itself.

Thanks for the help.

Onaipian

Onaipian

Notepad warrior

• Retired Staff
  • 2,130 posts
Thanks for letting us know! We love to here how things went! Glad to hear my attempt to help was appreciated.

:) Cheers

crl

crl

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Help!!

About a week ago MSN Live Messenger stopped working at home and i get 81000306 error when trying to connect. I have read a hundred sites and tried everything suggested to fix it but no luck. Seems this or similar problems go back to 2006.

I have 3 laptops in the house, one of which is my work laptop. When i am at the office i have no problems at all but at home it is as dead as the others.

More than this i cannot access microsoft sites such as hotmail. I have read this is also a problem for others.

I class myself as pretty good with fixing issues but this one has me stumped so all advice welcome - but note that i have tried many things from many sites going back to 2006 !!

Thanks one and all !

pasaway

pasaway

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Removed link - it was against our TOU.