Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell Inspiron 1525--Touchpad not working

• Please log in to reply

Boogs

Boogs

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Had to replace the AC adapter for my wife's 1525. Shortly after, the Touchpad started acting erratic. After reading this thread (Enigma12, although it sounds crazy, thank you for the post), I replaced the new adapter with a known working power supply and presto, no more trouble. Needless to say, the new power supply is being returned for an OEM.

Advertisements

nhow

nhow

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I bought my inspiron 1525 in the USA almost a year ago. Now live in the UK. I have the same erratic touchpad as everyone else. What 'known working power supply' did you get that solves the problem? Thanks.

Boogs

Boogs

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Fortunately, I also own a Dell Inspiron 1570, which came with a Dell TN800 power supply. Since the TN800 was charging my 1570, I knew it was working. And it was compatible with the Inspiron 1525 (per Dell's website). I would not look to this as a blanket fix for many of the touchpad problems listed/discussed here, but it worked for me since my problem occurred after I had changed the power supply. If you recently changed a piece of your equipment, then I would focus on the part that you changed, which may not be working properly if it is not an OEM part.

nhow

nhow

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hi, just got your reply (a bit late as it was erroneously filtered into my spam folder). I haven't changed any hardware since buying my 1525 so think it may have something to do with the power supply. What helps a little (but only for a short time) is unplugging the power supply and removing the battery for a short time. Someone at Dell said there was some problem with static buildup from the power supply (?) and this would release it (?) So when I saw your power supply fix I thought it might be my problem as well. Now all I need to do is get Dell to send the new power supply to me in the UK...maybe not an easy thing as they don't want laptops bought in the US taken out of the country (have no idea why that is). Thanks for the information. I'll let you know if it solves the problem for me too. Many thanks!

nhow

nhow

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Just checked on Dell site...they are not listing TN-800 that I can find. Is there a specific part number? Thanks.

I also checked eBay...there are some listing for supposedly genuine Dell power supplies with TN-800 in the specs but don't know if any of those would
work.

nhow

nhow

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
OK, I just found this on eBay in the UK:

DELL GENUINE INSPIRON AC ADAPTER PA-2E RX929 TN800

it's 65 watts 19.5 volts so I think it's what you have (also bonus for me is it comes with a UK cord and plug so I don't need a plug adapter).

If this is the same part you have, please let me know and I'll go ahead and order it locally. Again many thanks for your help.

Boogs

Boogs

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Yes, the PA2E is one of the numbers that this goes by. Given that you have NOT changed any hardware, I do not know if your problem has to do with the power cord. My problem only arose because I changed the power cord (since the old one died), and the replacement that I got was not an OEM part.

nhow

nhow

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Just got the new AC power supply/cord. So far my touchpad has behaved as it should. No weird jumps and repositions. Probably too soon to declare it a complete success but a remarkable change. Fingers (and toes) crossed that it continues thus. Boogs, thank you so very much for your posts. It's been driving me nuts for almost a year. :)

Boogs

Boogs

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Happy my post was able to help, but real thanks to the original poster Enigma12.

nhow

nhow

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I've been on my laptop all afternoon and it hasn't acted up once. You and Enigma rule!!! Have you contacted the techs at Dell to let them know? Maybe they can test it out there and swap it out for others who have the same problem. But probably they wouldn't as they would lose money on the deal...

Again many thanks.

Advertisements

nhow

nhow

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Sadly I spoke too soon. Touchpad started acting up again. Only thing that temporarily fixes it is unplugging the AC and removing the battery for a few minutes. A nuisance but at least a day or two relief from the pain. Until Dell comes up with a permanent solution (at no additional cost...yeah right) I guess that's the best I can do. :)

Kit Elliott

Kit Elliott

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Okay this happened to me today..

Well - guess what? There is a "hot key" that turns it on and off. Look above the numbers and look for the trackpad with a X through it. That's the turn on / turn off toggle..

I came across it because my "wi fi" turns off automatically.. and now my trackpad turns off automatically...

I found these "hot keys" to turn them back on!!!

nhow

nhow

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Okay this happened to me today..

Well - guess what? There is a "hot key" that turns it on and off. Look above the numbers and look for the trackpad with a X through it. That's the turn on / turn off toggle..

I came across it because my "wi fi" turns off automatically.. and now my trackpad turns off automatically...

I found these "hot keys" to turn them back on!!!

The only key with an X through it on my keyboard is the mute button. Which function key is it above on yours?

Kit Elliott

Kit Elliott

• Pip
  • 2 posts
It's right above the dash and plus signs..

According the small manual that came with the system, the key between F12 and insert on the functions key row is the toggle. It looks like a "X."

nhow

nhow

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Thanks. I tried it but didn't seem to do anything I'm afraid.