Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Local Area Connection (Just Reformatted)

• Please log in to reply

NickM

NickM

• Pip
  • 3 posts
I had a virus on my computer that made it freeze everytime I moved my mouse, so I reformatted.
I am using a Belkin 4-Port Router, and I have Sprint Mobile USB Broadband.

I want to set up my Local Area Connection to share the internet through the Router so I can use WiFi and get on Xbox LIVE. So, I ran the Network Setup Wizard, and it gave me the 'other' connection options. I want 'Connects Directly to the internet, and other computers will connect through this computer.', but that option isn't listed. What is wrong? Am I missing some Windows files, or is it just something else? Any help would be great, thanks!

Advertisements

phillip22

phillip22

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
The "Network Setup Wizard" is for setting up a local network where 2 or more computers in your house are connected together to share files and devices. To connect to the internet with 2 or more computers (using the same connection) you do not use that wizard at all. You connect one PC to the router with an ethernet (cat5) cable, and the other computers must each have a wireless adapter to connect to the router.
All the computers which are sharing the same internet connection work totally independently of each other -- in other words you can connect to the internet with any of them even if all the other computers are switched off.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
right click on "my computer" then choose manage then go to device manager...any yellow question marks or exclamation points?>

NickM

NickM

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yes, next to:

Other Devices > Ethernet Controller
Other Decices > Multimedia Ausio Controller
&
Other Devices > PCI Sample Communications Controller

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Other Devices > Ethernet Controller

there's your problem...you need to get the driver for that device and install it

what kind of computer is this? make/model?

NickM

NickM

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Im on a DELL Intel Pentium 4.

Could you please help me find a website to install the Ethernet and Audio drivers?
Thanks

Mark D

Mark D

• PipPipPip
  • 341 posts
Try support.dell.com/ . Go to the download section and enter your model. It will list all the device drivers for your system, (video, network, chipsets). I just did this for a DX280 and it is a very easy site to use. I would probably download all the device drivers for your system, since how Dell would have shipped it.