Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

How can I check to see if I have a faulty memory stick?

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 2 posts

I've had some trouble with open office documents constantly needing to be recovered. Someone posted in their forum that he had similar problems and discovered they were related to a faulty RAM stick. I looked for some utilities to test my RAM, and found a few (Memtest, among others), but I find myself confused about how to use them, and find the web sites (the ones I've found) are written at a higher level of computer knowledge than I posses. Can anyone point me to some very easy to use and understand freeware that can help me test for this? My computer is over 5 years old, so I won't be surprised if there's a problem like that. I hope that I don't have to put a new computer in the budget just yet, though. Ideally, I hope to find a utility with a clearly written, in plain English, step-by-step set of instructions.

PS - I've had other problems like Firefox freezing up randomly, hard time booting up some mornings, etc. I'd guess they could be related to RAM problems.

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello fatgreta...

The Windows Memory Diagnostic Tool is probably the easiest to create and use and it's very effective at determining if you have faulty RAM module(s). The instructions for creating and using the disk are under the topic heading "Quick Start Information" on the page I've linked you to.