Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Do I need a new MB (Help with AGP)

• Please log in to reply

NyhtShade

NyhtShade

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I Have a PCChips SiS A31G MotherBoard (MB). It has an onboard integrated video chip SiS Mirage. I HATE it, it's weak and can barely keep up with 2005/06 games, let alone even have a wet dream of coping with COD4 or Mass Effect. I have an AGP card ATI Radeon X800 256 MB Pro and am trying to get it hooked up, but when I installed it and hooked the VGA (yes, VGA. I don't have DVI yet but it supports it which makes me happy for the future.. If I can get the [bleep] THING WORKING!) port into the card, I look up at my monitor and.. Nothing. I get nothing at all. I enabled Dual Monitor Support in BIOS, and can't find the option to disable onboard video, but I don't think on-board video would conflict with the AGP slot and cause it not even to detect any hardware installed (I tried checking to see if it was even detected in Device Manager and it's not there at all). I know the X800 works cause it was my fathers and he gave it to me. The MB is not new, but I never tried to use a card on it before. I don't know if the AGP slot is bad, cause I don't have any other cards right now, but at the same time even if the onboard video was enabled it would still detect the X800 right? I'm slightly infuriated and a bit concerned about if the AGP is bad, how long till the PCI slots [bleep] out. I re-installed all the ChipSet drivers thinking that COULD have been the problem and updated the Drivers from their website. One thing that confuses me, is in the device manager, I have it viewed by Device Connection to see if I can find the AGP Bus, and all I could find close to AGP was in the PCI Bus.. It goes

PCI Bus > SiS Accelerated Graphics Port > SiS Mirage Graphics > Plug and Play Monitor.

What the...!? I'm thinking this COULD have something to do with this all and maybe my AGP slot isn't bad, but ..Not Enabled?? and I'm confused with this whole thing. The card works on my dad's machine, but I can't figure it out on mine. This is my MotherBoard and this is my Video Card. Sorry for the C-Net review, couldn't find any other link that resembled my card so closely. Can someone please give me some clues here. I need to know if I need to disable my Onboard video JUST to get my AGP slot to work, as ridiculous as it sounds, I can't think of any other thing it could be, (other than a bad AGP slot, and if so, is there any other way to test it other than a different AGP card.) and if that's my problem then how would I disable the on-board video. I can't really find a jumper for it, and their manual is pretty much useless. HELP ME!!

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
There is a BIOS update for this board that states "enhanced ATI VGA compatibility".

That being said, the VGA support list on the link you've provided says that board only supports up to a Radeon 9500. So it would appear you can't use it in that board.

ReiMomo

ReiMomo

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have that same motherboard and an ATI AIW X800XT and it's like if the motherboard is unable to see that there is the card connected! I remember to download that last BIOS update and see that "enhanced ATI VGA compatibility" line but the card still not being seen! what's so different on the X800XT to the Radeon 9500?
will that motherboard run an Radeon HD 6970?
Also I've seen some ppl mod BIOS, would it be possible to mod a BIOS for that motherboard so it can take the X800XT?

phillpower2

phillpower2

Mechanised Mod

• Global Moderator
  • 24,780 posts
Hi ReiMomo and :)

I have that same motherboard and an ATI AIW X800XT and it's like if the motherboard is unable to see that there is the card connected!

Did you install the drivers for the graphics card? If not they are available at the attached link;
http://support.amd.c...deon™ X800 XT

I remember to download that last BIOS update and see that "enhanced ATI VGA compatibility" line but the card still not being seen!

Avoid messing with the BIOS unless you are 100% certain you know what you are doing or you can end up with a MB that is beyond repair + in most cases you do not have to update the BIOS for any reason whatsoever.

what's so different on the X800XT to the Radeon 9500?

Very little and they are both compatible with the MBs AGP X8 slot.

will that motherboard run an Radeon HD 6970?

Yes using the the pci-e X16 slot that the MB also has, there are however other factors to consider;
1: Is your present PSU capable of powering a HD 6970?
2: Will the HD 6970 fit inside your case?
3: Do you really want to spend that much money on a HD 6970 because your MB cannot offer the performance to support the card.

Also I've seen some ppl mod BIOS, would it be possible to mod a BIOS for that motherboard so it can take the X800XT?

Again avoid messing with the BIOS, it is not necessary.
Your MB specs for your and others convenience http://www.pcchips.c...nuID=48&LanID=2