Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

wireless wont work

• Please log in to reply

memo10

memo10

• Pip
  • 2 posts
hi everyone, im kinda new here but im really stuck and i need your help.

i just bought a new gateway laptop and it wont detect any wireless network, it will connect to the Internets with the Ethernet port but the wireless its just undetectable, the wireless network adapter is a Realtek RTL8187B Wireless 802.11b/g 54mbps usb 2.0 network adapter and i tried updating the driver and it still wont work... any ideas on whats going on? any help is much appreciated

thanks in advanced!

Advertisements

Granz00

Granz00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
Here is a really simple question to start us off... Does it have a wireless switch and is it turned to on?

Edit:

Do you have any other devices that use the network? Are you able to see the wireless networks at all? What operating system is it?

Edited by Granz00, 10 November 2008 - 12:48 PM.

memo10

memo10

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Here is a really simple question to start us off... Does it have a wireless switch and is it turned to on?

first question... yes, there is an on/off switch that its turned on, ive even toggled it on and off and nothing happens

Edit:

Do you have any other devices that use the network?

second question/s... yes theres the laptop of my rommate and my xbox that ger signal from the wireless router

Are you able to see the wireless networks at all?

no, im not abel to see nay networks :)

What operating system is it?

im running vista

please help!

Oddysee

Oddysee

Spammer

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
I kinda have the same problem.

http://www.geekstogo...rk-t218002.html

rmel

rmel

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
memo10,

Have you tried this yet, hope it will help. Let me know - will do further research

Windows is not configured to connect to the right type of network.
Check the information that came with the router or access point to find out what connection mode the device is set to. The mode should be either ad hoc (when devices communicate directly without going through a router or access point) or infrastructure (when devices communicate by going through a router or access point). Make sure the setting in Windows for this network matches the setting on the device. To check this, follow these steps:

Click to open the Command Prompt window.

Type netsh wlan add filter networktype=network type .

Where network type is either adhoc or infrastructure.

Best Regards,

rmel

Oddysee

Oddysee

Spammer

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
I tried that for myself and the settings are fine. I can only connect to the router for around 2 minutes. I'm pretty good on computers and the only thing I can think of is that Vista isn't compatible with my Belkin router.

I did buy the router over 3 years ago. Is that a possibility?

rmel

rmel

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
memo10,

what is the model # of the router?

thanks

rmel