Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

A Budget Gaming/Media Center Build

• Please log in to reply

VectoRiot

VectoRiot

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi guys, I'm actually new to the whole computer building thing, so please be gentle :)

So basically the build I'm going for is something that can run games, such as Crysis, Unreal, and others which follow such games' engines etc. At the same time, I'm also a (aspiring) Graphic Artist, so I'm interested in a build that will be able to not only be able to run memory (is that the correct term ?) intensive media programs such as photoshop, illustrator, etc.. simultaneously without the system crashing on me. Well, nothing too crazy like movie editing. Also, my budget is below 900 for the rig, and 400 or below for monitor. So I guess less than 1,500 total.

So I've (tried) to do a bit of researching on some products, and I plan on ordering from Ibuypower.com

here is my rig so far:

-----

Nzxt Alpha Gaming Tower Case w/420W Power Supply

500 Watt -- Power Supply

Intel Core 2 Duo Processor E8400 (2x 3.0GHz/6MB L2 Cache/1333FSB)

[=== Silent ===] Thermaltake V1 CPU Cooling Fan System Kit

[SLI] Asus P5N-D Nvidia nForce 750i SLI Chipset w/7.1 Sound, Gb LAN, S-ATA Raid, USB 2.0, IEEE-1394, Dual PCI-E MB

2 GB [1 GB X2] DDR2-800 PC6400 Memory Module ( Kingston HyperX)

NVIDIA GeForce 9600GT 512MB w/DVI + TV Out Video

Major Brand Powered by NVIDIA

500 GB HARD DRIVE [Serial-ATA-II, 3Gb, 7200 RPM, 16M Cache]

LG 20X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive

3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard

Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)

Keyboard, Mouse, I will worry about later

Monitor... that's another headache I will reserve after I get the build figured out.

Total is $837... what do you guys think?

------------

I also have some individual questions...

a. for instance, what is the difference between Asus P5N-something Nvidia type processors vs. the eVGA nvidia ones?

b. I put a geforce 9600gT as my vid card... but I have heard that 8800gt 512 should be good enough (would be cheaper if it is..)?

c. oh yeah and whats the difference between GT, GTS, GTX vid cards?

d. Does my build require SLI? Or just a Single PCI-E MB?

-------------

sorry if my post is too long guys, I just wanna make good decisions.

Edited by VectoRiot, 10 November 2008 - 06:39 AM.

Advertisements

Granz00

Granz00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

b. I put a geforce 9600gT as my vid card... but I have heard that 8800gt 512 should be good enough (would be cheaper if it is..)?

I believe that the 8800GT would not only be good enough, but a better performer then the 9600GT. So I would go with it.

c. oh yeah and whats the difference between GT, GTS, GTX vid cards?

The dumbed down version (the only version I know), is something like GTX>GTS>GT. In other words, GT is generally not as good as the other two.

d. Does my build require SLI? Or just a Single PCI-E MB?

SLI basically means using two GPU's (like the 8800GT video card x 2). Since your buying only one GPU, you don't need SLI capability.

On a side note, if you are willing to build a PC yourself, then I would check out NewEgg for the parts. Places like the one you are using tend to tack on a pretty penny compared to what the build is worth. Also, I see that they do not show the brandname for most of their parts. So you could end up paying quality brand prices for non quality brand parts.