Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Battery Charger

• Please log in to reply

smiles alot

smiles alot

• Pip
  • 1 posts
My dell latitude was upgraded from win 98 to XP, my battery on the self test button shows full charge, all green buttons light up however i cannot run my laptopvery long on battery. it shows yellow in the battery window the charger sends an intermitent green light when the laptop is pluged in however the charge isn't constant. are their problems with the drivers for the battery?

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If you can run your computer for an unlimited time with the charger connected then the problem is not with the charger. The problem can be with the battery itself. The fact that it shows that it's fully charged tells you that the battery reached maximum voltage but it doesn't tell you much about what current, measured in Amperes, that the laptop can drow and for how long. It's the same with a car battery. It can seem to be fully charged but will fail under load. You always test batteries under load. In your case the load is created by the laptop itself. If the charger is good then I suspect that your battery is faulty.