Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How to Monitor the Share folders and Contents

• Please log in to reply

Mobi

Mobi

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
Hi guyz,

I need to ask question regarding the monitoring software for the share folders. Actually in our company the users/developer are given the admin right on their local machines (which I said many time should not be like that) and we have applied access control on our source code as well and developers have access to the only part of the source code which is required for their task i.e. need to know and least privileges. But I also want to monitor any share folders which a developer shares on his/her machine. This is you can say a check for the collusion attack. We are using DC 2003 and all the machines are on XP. Can anyone guide me in this regard?

Secondly I wanted to know about implementing the EFS on the machines? What are the steps to implement EFS?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
for EFS http://www.windowsec...003-Domain.html

for the shared folder stuff....check out lansweeper http://www.lansweeper.com/ ....it's a free network auditing product (they have a paid version with certain advantages but the base product is free) you can get A LOT of information about your clients etc from lansweeper... but on one of the report pages (the general reports) they have a report for "Visible shared folders" which will show you every shared folder on the network

also....you need to try your hardest (i.e. bring it up every time you talk to management) to get admin rights removed...there are VERY few things that a normal user would need admin rights for....even in a programming environment power user is usually good enough

Mobi

Mobi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
Thanks dsenette!

You always provide me good suggestion and support

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
let me know how lansweeper works for you...i've been happy with it so far running it on my domain...it's really handy...there are a bunch of fun features

Mobi

Mobi

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
yeah sure I will let you know. But right now I am going through the EFS stuff and there are some questions I would like to ask based upon my current understanding

1. what is meant by the EFS self-signs a certificate? Actually I want to implement the EFS on our critical systems i.e. the system which are used my the higher managements and also on the laptops. I am going throught the deatiled document of MS:
http://technet.micro...y/bb457116.aspx

2. As I am going through this document I am realizing that I can also implement it for the Domain as well I mean we should encrypt all the databases on our file server and only the domain users will have access to the databases for any other intruder it will be encrypted. But I am thinking one point say for example I apply the policy that every computer will have EFS enabled on his/her system, now what will happen if a user attaches any file or data with the email from his local system on the domain?? I mean will it be in the unencrypted form or will it be in the encrypted format and when the user will try to download the attached file from his/her home it will be encrypted?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i've never implimented EFS...and to be completely honest....shared keys and public keys make my eyes cross....still don't completely understand the concept