Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Internal DVD drive not burning discs

• Please log in to reply

JR Menard

JR Menard

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello my name is Jerry and I am somewhere around an intermediate computer user.

This is driving me crazy.

Here is my problem.

1. Installed new, Internal Memorex DVD+RAM 530L v1, the software included is Nero 7 Essentials

2. I bought the drive to burn Photo Story 3 for Windows Slide show in the DVD formate for playback on TVs.

3. So far every thing I have tried has failed.

4. My first few attempts returned this warning
The disc is not empty. Do you want to erase the disc and proceed? Yes or No

5. 1st time I tried yes, same message.

6. Tried another disc, same message.

7. Decreased size of my slideshow 3 or 4 meg, same message.

8. Un-installed Nero / than re-installed, same message.

9. Sent error message and error log to Nero.
Here is their response Dear Mr. Menard,

thank you for your e-mail.

1.)
Please update to the current Nero 7 Version.
You can download the latest Nero 7 Version from our website:

http://www.nero.com/...ero7-update.php

2.)
Please activate DMA (Direct Memory Access) for all your CD/DVD drives.
Direct memory access (DMA) allows certain hardware subsystems within a computer to access system memory for reading and/or writing independently of the CPU. Without DMA, the CPU would have to copy each piece of data from the source to one of its registers, and then write it back again to the new location. During this time the CPU would be unavailable for other tasks.

Note: You must be able to log on as Administrator!

- For Windows 95/98/ME:
Go to “Control Panel->System->Device Manager->DVD/CDROM drives” and enable DMA for your device(s) by right-clicking on a drive and selecting “Properties->Settings”.

- For Windows 2000/XP/Vista:
Go to “Control Panel->Systems->Hardware->Device Manager” and now double-click on “IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers”.
Right-click on the “Primary IDE Channel”, go to “Properties>Advanced Settings”, and change Transfer Mode to “DMA if available”.
Do the same for the Secondary IDE Channel.

3.)
A review of your computer system has revealed that drivers from another burning software, which conflict with Nero performance, are left on your computer system.

Please use the “Driver CleanTool” to disable these drivers.

Download driver-cleantool.zip from
http://www.nero.com/redir.php?id=4503

Extract the zipped files to your hard drive using WinZip or WinRar.
You should now have two unzipped files:
Driver-CleanTool.exe, and
RegistryChecker.exe

First step: run Driver-CleanTool.exe
This file will deactivate drivers that have caused problems with Nero in the past.
Confirm the deactivation of the displayed drivers to prevent known driver conflicts from reoccurring in the future.

These drivers also include Values in the Registry under Windows NT, 2000, and XP.
To ensure that these values are also deactivated you will need to run the RegistryChecker file.

The RegistryChecker will run very quickly. It is likely that you won't see any activity after double-clicking on the file.
Note: Running the RegistryChecker will not be necessary for Windows ME, 98SE, 98, or 95.

4.)
To solve the problem, it is necessary that you install the latest firmware for your recorder. Please proceed as follows to find out the exact name of your recorder and your firmware-version - you can use the Nero InfoTool to find this information:

In the Windows start menu, please click on "Start" and subsequently select the following entries:

For Nero 8:
"All Programs"-"Nero 8"-"ToolKit"-"Nero InfoTool"

For Nero 7:
"All Programs"-"Nero 7"-"ToolKit"-"Nero InfoTool".

For 6:
"All Programs"-"Nero"-"Nero ToolKit"-"Nero InfoTool".

-> The Nero InfoTool is being started.

After the window of the Nero InfoTool has opened, please make sure that your recorder is listed in the window on top left in the tab "Hardware". If necessary, use the drop-down menu at the top right margin of the window to select your recorder.
-> The manufacturer and the model of the recorder are being displayed.

Please note these specifications. Then click on the tab "Drive".
-> In the top right of the window you will see the firmware version.

Compare the displayed version with the information available on the website of the manufacturer of the recorder to see if a firmware upgrade is available for your recorder.
If you do not have the current version, please contact the manufacturer of your recorder to get the latest software for your model.

Please note that an old firmware can cause compatibility problems as well as burn failures.

Firmware upgrades for your recorder are provided only by the Manufacturer of your recorder.
All firmware upgrades and support for upgrading your recorder's firmware must be provided by either the recorder manufacturer or the OEM you purchased your recorder bundle from. We are sorry not to be able to assist you in this.

Legal disclaimer:
"Nero AG is not liable for firmware updates as these updates are not offered by Nero AG. All updates are performed at one's own risk. Nero AG will not be liable for the legality of the firmware."

Should you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Best Regards,

Julian Buß
Nero Support

Nero AG
Im Stoeckmaedle 13-15
76307 Karlsbad
Germany
Fax : ++49 (0)7248 928 499
http://www.nero.com

NERO – SIMPLY ENJOY™
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Vorstand / Board of Directors: Udo Eberlein (CEO), Charly Lippoth (CTO/CSO)
Aufsichtsratvorsitzender / Chairman of the Supervisory Board: Richard Lesser

Amtsgericht Mannheim HRB 362519
--------------------------------------------------------------------
We want to hear from you!

Please give us your feedback by answering a few short questions. The survey takes just a few minutes to complete and you will remain anonymous.
To begin the survey, please click on the following link:

http://www.nero.com/survey-feedback

prob-id2 =

Followed these instructions and they caused Photo Story 3 to stop working,

After I fixed Photo Story 3, I again un-installed Nero. The DVD drive driver must me attached. My system would no longer open any thing in the drive.

Re-installed Nero, system now sees the DVD and I am getting the same message.

I have tried about 15 different Memorex DVD-RW (rewritable * 4X * 4.7GB * 120min out of a sleeve of 25
(stamped into disc by the hole: 7363 602 OA 15 20657 M4 0223)

I also have two more error logs in a Wordpad file (they are very long)

What else can I share about htis problem to help get it solved

Attached Files

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi JR Menard ...welcome to Geeks To Go... :)

removing nero can cause problems with the filters...

Click Start ... Run and type in regedit...click Ok

In the left pane, expand (click the +) HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE... SYSTEM...CurrentControlSet... then Control... Class and click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} In the right pane, are UpperFilters and/or LowerFilters listed...
if so...
Let's remove the filters. this should bring your drives back

Right click on {4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and choose Export... Save this to your desktop...name it... filters.old...

Right click on LowerFilters and choose ..Delete...accept the change.

Right click on UpperFilters and choose ..Delete.....accept the change.

Close Registry Editor and reboot.

after removing the filters...use the device manager to uninstall the Memorex burner drive...
reboot and windows will reinstall the drive and drivers...

When Windows starts, you should have your drives back
if everthing is now working properly...Right click on the file you saved to the desktop ...filters.old...click on delete...

Edited by happyrock, 16 November 2008 - 09:40 AM.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
did you try a different brand of media yet...
does the drive read any data disks at all..
how about watching a movie dvd...

JR Menard

JR Menard

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Yes sir. The drive will playback any media I try. I have several Nero slide shows that where made by other users that play back fine.

JR Menard

JR Menard

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I also have two Nero error messages. They are saved as text files.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
since the drive seems to work OK ...I would completely uninstall both NERO (use their tool from your 1st post )..and Photo Story 3... reboot...
try reinstalling them in the opposite order that you did previously ...IE: if you had Photo Story 3 on 1st and then installed nero...try putting nero on first then Photo Story 3...