Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Movie Maker

• Please log in to reply

loyo999

loyo999

• PipPip
  • 41 posts
When opening Movie Maker, I get a message that it has encountered a problem and needs to close. I can provide the details of the error report but not sure what you would need. I'm running Windows XP Home version 5.1 SP3. I used to use the application before and it worked fine and it simply died on me. I tried running "%systemroot%\inf to run the movie maker inf file but when I try to install it, the system cannot find the exe file even when I put in the XP CD. HELP. Thank you.

Edited by loyo999, 10 November 2008 - 02:13 PM.

Advertisements

phillip22

phillip22

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
There have been reports in the past that IE7 messed up WMM and caused it to keep closing. However, that was with earlier releases of IE7 (before the final version). Still, if you have any version of IE7 installed it might be worth uninstalling it to see if that fixes your problem.
It's listed in Add-Remove Programs as 'Windows Internet Explorer 7" so it'll be at or near the bottom of the list. Removing it will automatically restore IE6.

Another application "WinDVD Creator" has also been reported as doing the same thing to WMM. Try uninstalling that if it's on your system.

Generally speaking, judging by the reports I've read, just about any movie authoring application may cause WMM to fall over so if you have any such application installed it may be worth uninstalling it to see if it fixes the problem.

Edited by phillip22, 11 November 2008 - 05:11 AM.