Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP!

• Please log in to reply

kezza231276

kezza231276

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello,
Several times a day my pc turns off for no apparent reason.
Afriend suggested that it may be a problem with the fan.
Is that possible and if so what do i do about it?
Hope u can help thanks.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
It could very well be heat realated. If you are comfortable opening the case of the computer (assumed not a laptop), then you can carefully clean the fans on the unit.
Also clean out the other dust too.
Be sure to shut it down and unplug from the wall.

kezza231276

kezza231276

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Thanks ill give it a go.Have u heard of a program called Speedfan?
Someone suggested i should download that. What do you think?

BHowett

BHowett

OT Moderator

• 4,649 posts

Thanks ill give it a go.Have u heard of a program called Speedfan?
Someone suggested i should download that. What do you think?

Hi kezza231276,

I would say it depends on your knowledge level of voltages, fan speeds, temperatures etc... Basically speedfan monitors those types of things, however it might be able to actually control fan speeds, witch could reduce noise and power consumption. It also and has a tool that can be used for resetting motherboard clocks.

Basically, if you are not sure or unclear about those types of things it’s not really worth downloading :)

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Bad computer memory is one of the three main reasons for random system crashing..hanging...BSOD.. the other two are heat (usually caused by fans or heatsinks being blocked with dust) or power issues...
first...

lets make sure its not your memory going bad...get memtest + here....
the lowdown is [url="http://<a%20href="http://www.cpusolutions.com/mm8004744CPU/HTML/Guides/memtest86.htm"%20target="_blank">http://www.cpusoluti...mtest86.htm</a>"]here...[/url]

if you have a floppy drive you can get the 6th one down ...set the bios to boot from the floppy drive A: first...then the cd drive then the Hard drive C:
or you can get the 2nd one down and burn the ISO file to a cd and then boot it from the cd drive...let memtest run for at least 2 hours...if it starts showing any errors during that time then you will have to replace the RAM...no errors after 2 hours just press Esc to end the tests and we will try some other tests

go here and get everest home...install and launch it...click the + by computer...click on sensor...get a screenshot and post it so I can check your temps and voltages...

NOTE...if you have any problems running memtest... Windows Memory Diagnostic may run the tests....you can get it here..