Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

\WINDOWS\system32\config\system - Missing or corru

• Please log in to reply

kristi10

kristi10

• PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Hello, and thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

I restarted my Dell XPS 400 with XP media center edition a few hours ago. As soon as windows started running, I got:

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\WINDOWS\system32\config\system
You can attempt to repair this file using the original setup CD-Rom. Select R at the first screen to start repair.

Prior to this message appearing, I have had zero problems, no errors, bsod's, etc, for months and months. I work from home a couple of days a week and have a separate system owned by my employer. I use a VPN, which was having problems today. I was frustrated and opted to restart everything on my end (computers, modem, router). Now of course, the work computer and VPN are fine. I actually restarted everything more than once, twice I think, but maybe 3 times. Windows loaded as usual until the last restart. I'm afraid I was very frustrated and think I turned it off the last time by pressing the button in, instead of telling it to shut down.

I have the original installation CD sent by Dell with the system and had no trouble getting it to run. It goes to the Welcome to Set Up screen and gives the proper options. I selected "setup windows xp" and agreed to the licensing info, but the option to "repair the selected windows xp installation" does not appear. Instead of a line item for microsoft windows xp, I get 3 line items, each a different partition.

-: Partition 1 [FAT] - 47 mb - 39 mb free
C: Partition 2 [NTFS] - 233,609 mb - 188,508 free
F: Partition 3 [FAT32] - 4754 mb - 458 mb free
Unpartitioned space - 8 mb

I HAVE had problems with the system before, less than a year ago. A couple of wonderful people here at gtg helped me through it. Basically, I was out of warranty with Dell, started receiving BSODs with no specific codes, paid Dell to help service it by phone, and got several different answers from them as to the source of the problem. Hard drive, motherboard, memory, and video card were all included. I backed up my data and eventually did a system restore with the Dell tech. It did not fix it. After working with gtg, I eventually replaced the nvidia card with a new ATI one, did another system restore with gtg, and have not experienced any problems, at all, none, since. It was a long process to determine that the video card was the problem. The link to the post follows, but is quite long, and I hope not related.

http://www.geekstogo...8E-t186873.html

Are the 3 partitions related to / the result of the past system restores?

I did run chkdsk /r, and when it completed it said it found and fixed one or more errors on the volume. But restarting gets the same \WINDOWS\system32\config\system missing or corrupt message.

Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Thank you very much, Kristi

Advertisements

kristi10

kristi10

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
Just an update.....my husband and I have both been searching this site and the web for a solution, using his laptop and my work pc. He found:

http://www.help2go.c...or_corrupt.html

Sorry that may not work as an actual link, but anyway it worked!!!!! Have no idea what caused the problem, will re-post if any other problems.

Kristi

jt1990

jt1990

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
Glad you were able to solve it! Certainly post back if you have any more problems :)

shelster911

shelster911

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hi, I have very similar problem as Kristi from Kentucky did. I installed a new HP printer (same name brand as the one that just died), following the instructions to the T. The printer worked perfectly, the system (which hadn't been giving me any problems) worked fine & I restarted it and got this black screen that says Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM. I tried to put my Dell Windows XP OS disc in & the same screen stays up. The cd doesn't even seem to be running (although my cd rom does show a green light & recognizes the disc is in there). What can I do to rectify this problem? I'm tempted to just buy a whole new hard drive and start fresh!

Frustrated,
Shelly

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,305 posts
Welcome to geeks to go.

You should really start a new post because yours will be buried in this other one. Also, all issues do not always have the same answers.

With that said, I suspect that you do not have the bios set to boot from CD.

Please start a new post and we can continue from there.