Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Do I Or Can I Get A Graphics Card For This Old Computer?

• Please log in to reply

Rikterscale

Rikterscale

• PipPip
  • 26 posts
Hey there everyone!

I got my dad an older computer running windows 98 from an auction. He actually wanted it to play some older games he likes, using an older style joystick that he loves.

Well we got it all set up, and it seems to work fine. He installed his first game which is a WWII game. Once it comes to the screen to start flying the plane, the game crashes and goes back to the desktop.

Now, there's only 128mb of ram in it. It can take 512 total, and I got it coming, so we're gonna put that in there. I'm wondering if that alone will solve this problem, or do I need a graphics card of some kind for this older model computer as well?

It's a HP Brio
Model - BA200
Intel Celeron

And like I said its running windows 98 and I'll have a half gig of ram in it soon enogh. So I guess my question is this:

Does this computer even take a graphics card, or something like it? If so, how and where do I find out which one will fit/work? I tried tiger and newegg to no help.

I'm used to working on newer computers so this is new to me, and still fun.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Advertisements

charge06

charge06

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
as far as i could find, it only hase integrated, no pcie or agp slots, so you will neew to get a pci graphics card.

this is the one i think would be good

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814133245

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
And as far as what it needs to run that game.... without knowing what the games is there is no way of telling... Even then unless there is info on it on the web or someone is familiar with it, it's really hard to give specific advise.... does he have the box or manual for it so he can find out what the minimum requirements are?

Rikterscale

Rikterscale

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
To be honest, I dont know the games specifics at this time.

He got this older system to run older games(I told him we could do a dual boot in his newer machine, but he's old like that), and he wants to use an older joystick he likes that doesnt have the proper connections for newer stuff.

The games are older and are supposed to be run on windows 95/98.

So, I'll check the specs on the games (I don't think he even has the box still, just the CD), but I'll try.

I just wanted to see what my options were for graphics cards, if any.

Thanks everyone for responding.

Rikterscale

Rikterscale

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
That video card mentioned up there from newegg would work with this old stuff?