Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

display-desktop in control seems frozen

• Please log in to reply

red54

red54

• Pip
  • 4 posts
hi y'all.
first off i am not computor literate so i will explain this as best i can.i followed the directions of how to put a picture on your desktop background,i find the pic,click make picture desktop background and nothing happens,it just stays blue,so i went into display,clicked on desktop and it seems like it is locked,pretty much every option is in grey so i can't click on it to make it active,anyway does anybody know what is happening and how can i get the picture as background,i could be wrong but the problem does not seem to be the picture part of the program,it seems to be more with the desktop in the display that may be blocking it,if it is possible that this is locked or enabled to prevent changing wallpaper i do not know where to go to unlock it.thankyou,this is driving me nuts y'all :)

Advertisements

phillip22

phillip22

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
If you're using XP Professional it could have been 'locked' in the 'Group Policy Editor', in which case see this:
http://pcproblems.wo...-being-changed/

If it's XP Home the above doesn't apply since it doesn't have a Group Policy Editor. For XP Home it probably needs a Registry edit, but don't worry there's a file you can download which makes the necessary changes and hopefully that will fix it:
http://www.kellys-ko...m/xp_tweaks.htm

Scroll down to row '128' and on the right-hand side click "Restore Desktop & Screensaver Tabs".
A file download box should appear for 'desktoptab.reg'
You can either download it first and then run it by double-clicking it, or (depending on your web-browser) click the "Run" option in the download box.

red54

red54

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
hi phillip22:
I have windows media edition,not sure if that is the same as home,i tried what you said and it makes sense but it didn't work.hmmm,not sure what to do now.where would i find the "group policy editor if i had it.thanks.

red54

red54

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
hi
thanks for the help,i fugured it out,i did not have the file number entered into the web part of the sesktop display,didn't know you had to,so its all fixed up now.thanks again.had i not had some suggestions i would not have figured it out so thankyou phillip22 for taking the time to help me out.
jan