Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows wont start properly, need to rescue files

• Please log in to reply

destinedshadow05

destinedshadow05

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Hello and thanks in advance.

A little background...
About a year ago, my operating system decided to stop working (when trying to load XP it restarts the computer with a gray screen with options to boot in safe mode, restore to a previous time etc, but no matter what option i choose, it does the same thing, tries to load XP then just restarts). I've reformatted the computer before, but this time I was reluctant to do it because I had a very important file on there I knew at some point i would want. But real life happened, and I ended up buying a new laptop, and setting aside my old one till i had time to fix it and retrieve the file. And now a year later i'd love to retrieve that file (I was working on writing a book and now that I have time to do it, i'd love to complete it).

So i've been reading the tutorial on how to fix the OS thats stickied in this forum, but when i put the XP disk in, and select "enter" there is no option to repair. at the bottom it gives me the options to "install" "delete partition" "quit". It doesnt name Windows XP like the example shows either, it says
C: Partition1 [unknown] 57224MB (57223 MB free)
Unpartitioned space 8MB

So since I dont have that repair option, what other options do I have in fixing it without losing my files? I've been reading other posts in the forum too, I like the idea of the external connector to connect that HD up to my new laptop to pull off the files, but unfortunately Im low on cash at the moment and dont have the money to spare yet. I could wait a couple paychecks and hopefully get one, but if theres another option that would work and save me a few extra bucks I'd like to try that.

Thanks a lot =)

Advertisements

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
Are you actually booting from Windows CD?

destinedshadow05

destinedshadow05

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I was booting from whatever CD came with the computer. It says "Operating System CD Microsoft Windows XP Home Sp2" "containts software and drivers alredy installed. For software reistallation and repair only"

Broni

Broni

Kraków my love :)

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,300 posts
I asked my question, because you said:
"when i put the XP disk in, and select "enter""
What do you mean by that?
To boot from Windows CD, you need to put CD into your CD drive, and restart computer.
If BIOS setting is correct, you should see the message:
Press any key to boot from CD

destinedshadow05

destinedshadow05

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
sorry, like I said, i was following the instructions on the thread that is pinnned in this forum here http://www.geekstogo...ws-XP-t138.html

i'll give a complete run through of what i did then.
after putting in the disk, and "pressing any key to boot from cd" and loading up the bios, and hitting "enter" on "to setup windows XP now, press ENTER" I get the following screen that looks just like the one pinned in this thread, however instead of saying "c:\Microsoft Windows XP" it says...

C: Partition1 [unknown] 57224MB (57223 MB free)
Unpartitioned space 8MB

and at the bottom I have options to "install" "delete partition" "quit"
there's no repair option

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,308 posts
For some reason it seems it can not find the drive.
Your only option may be to get that enclosure.

Look at THIS GOOGLE SEARCH

The above link is for a laptop drive. I assume this is what you have. A desktop will have a 3.5 inch. I am also assuming it is an ide drive and not sata.