Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I/O Error Message

• Please log in to reply

mj8

mj8

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi there,
I purchased a Ritmo (possibly an Australian brand, as I am from Australia) Tanek Extneral hard drive probably a few months ago now and it has always run fine, no problems at all. I just went to get something off it now, and it doesn't seem to be working :) :) My computer detects it! Does the autoplay. However, when I go to open it from My Computer it comes up with an error message saying:

E:\ is not accessible
The request could not be performed due to an I/O device error.

I am devistated. Recently had to get my much loved boxer put down and ALL the millions of photos I took off her were on there! I am at a loss of words.

Sincerely,
Meagan.

Advertisements

phillip22

phillip22

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
It may be the USB connection causing the problem at any point along it's route. Same error happened to me recently with an external drive and I traced it to a faulty USB expansion card. Fitted a new USB card -- fixed it.

Check USB connections at both ends. Try another USB port. Try the external drive on another PC. And if none of those work, carefully remove the drive and fit it internally so it's no longer relying on USB connectivity. Don't assume it's the drive itself that's faulty -- not yet anyway.
Try the above suggestions first.

mj8

mj8

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I tried it on my laptop and the same error came up, and it used to work on my laptop aswell.

How do I install it internally into my computer?:)

Here is my system:

Microsoft Windows XP
Home Edition
Version 2002
Service Pack 3

Intel®
Pentium® 4 CPU 2.40HGz
2.39GHz, 224 MB of RAM

Will my computer be able to handle me putting this HD in it?

Also, I a few months ago I added 1 GB of ram to my computer and it showed up in my System details, except now that I have come to type this it is back down to 224MB of RAM!! Where could it have gone?? :) I thought my computer seemed alot slower!!

Thank-you

mj8

mj8

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Any ideas anyone?? :)