Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Build

• Please log in to reply

xager8on

xager8on

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I currently have a P4 3.2 HT system which will become one of the kids. I'm putting together a build and was looking for some opinions from the guru's here as to the quality of the build and maybe saving some cash here and there. But not necessary. I wouldnt mind that the machine is overclocked. Plan on running Windows XP Pro. The main uses with this build will be:

- office work
- gaming (Wouldnt mind playing the latest and greatest, which with my current system they lag.)
- watching movies and surfing the internet

So here are the current specs below:

Motherboard: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813128345 GIGABYTE (GA-EP45-DS3L) $104
CPU: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819115036 Intel E8500 3.16Ghz $190
Heatsink: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835186134 ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 $27
Ram: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16820146726 Mushkin 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel $75
Video Card: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814129112 VisionTek 900241 Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 $170
Hard Drive: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16822136298 Western Digital 640GB SATA 3G 7200rpm 16MB (WD6400AAKS) $76
Case: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16811119047 Cooler Master Centurion 5 $50 (Reason is for accessability without a door)
Power Supply: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817371011 Antec NeoPower 650 650W $90
Monitor: Already have a 21" Viewsonic

Questions:

1. Would it be better to go with the Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600?
2. Additonal Fans? No issues with space for the Arctic 7 Heatsink?
3. What Overclocking can I do?

Edited by xager8on, 11 November 2008 - 08:17 AM.

Advertisements

Granz00

Granz00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
For the same price (after a $10 MIR) you can get this GPU.

If you are overclocking then why don't you save the $25 and get this CPU instead?

As for your harddrive, I would immagine that this one would run a little faster, unless you want to go green.

The case is a person choice for you to make, however, I would suggest this one. It starts off $5 more expensive, but it has free shipping. Also, I believe it would have better air flow.

1. Would it be better to go with the Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600?
2. Additonal Fans? No issues with space for the Arctic 7 Heatsink?
3. What Overclocking can I do?

1. I don't know if or what the right answer to this is. People argue for both sides. I went ahead with the dual core, and I am overclocking it.

2. I would imagine that there is enough room for the heatsink. As for additional fans, you can always postpone on getting additional fans until you see how hot your system runs.

3. I'm not entirely sure what overclocking you can do with the quad core. With the dual core I suggested, you can technically go up to 4.0 GHz (I'm playing it safe at 3.4 GHz). Even after the overclock I was running in around the 30's for my temperatures (even during stress tests). So 4.0 GHz definately seems attainable.

If you look at my signature, you can see what I have in my rig.

xager8on

xager8on

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Whats the difference from benchMark perspective between

HIS Hightech H485QS512P Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3
VisionTek 900241 Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3

Also, since I have 2 other drives that I currently own, I plan on placing them in this system for data, e.g. My Documents, downloaded files, etc. Most likely in a RAID. I havent done this before. Should I go with a faster SATA drive like a Velo-raptor 150 GB as the drive for Windows and installed applications?

kamille316

kamille316

• PipPipPip
  • 604 posts
They both perform the same as both cards are stock (from what I can see). The difference would be the cooling implemented. The Visiontek uses third party fan however the HIS uses its IceQ4 which cools the video card better than what the Visiontek has. Another thing would be the warranty, Visiontek offers lifetime warranty however they don't just give that out to anyone (like EVGA) so you have to do a lot of work to get a new card. HIS's warranty is only 3 years but they're customer support is pretty good.

I would definitely go with the HIS because it is cheaper after the mail-in-rebate but also runs very quiet and cool.

Edited by kamille316, 12 November 2008 - 10:16 AM.

Granz00

Granz00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts

Whats the difference from benchMark perspective between

HIS Hightech H485QS512P Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3
VisionTek 900241 Radeon HD 4850 512MB 256-bit GDDR3

I haven't seen benchmarks for the specific products. They should have pretty much the same performance... However, I've seen HIS recommended before, plus it looks like it has better cooling. Also, it comes with an extra tool for attaching the video cables (these have always been annoying to me). Another thing you might want to look at is their customer support and waranty length.

Should I go with a faster SATA drive like a Velo-raptor 150 GB as the drive for Windows and installed applications?

From what I think I understand, the WD Caviar 640GB is a strong performer, so you would be wasting money to go from that to the raptor (consider that the price is double for a tiny HDD?).

xager8on

xager8on

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Thanks for the tips. I think I will stay with the E8500 with everything I have read on it. Hopefully I can get the wifes blessing since gifts for Christmas are #1 priority for the kids atm and this would be #2.

I just need to get up to speed on RAID Setup for my data. Will need to do some research. Wonder if there is a walkthru somewhere.

Lastly, when I do get the components and get this rig running, I will start experimenting with OCing. May need some help in this area.

xager8on

xager8on

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
One other thing. Should I take out the Audigy card from my previous rig and put it in the new rig? Or is the audio on the MB comparable?

Also, will I have any issues with 4 GB Ram and Windows XP? I do know that XP will only see 3 GB.

Edited by xager8on, 12 November 2008 - 11:14 AM.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi there,

Onboard audio these days is excellent. I suggest checking it out first, I'm sure you'll like it.

XP 32-bit will not be able to use all of your RAM, but other than that, there shouldn't be any issues.

Just a quick further comment on the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro, I have one on my Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3 motherboard (very similar to yours). Check out my installation pictorial (I was upgrading from the standard Intel heatsink/fan). There is one photo you can see where it does come very close to the heatsink, but once in there's still a small clearance.

Cheers

Troy

xager8on

xager8on

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Wow. that is a tight fit.

Candu

Candu

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
Just to provide some info, you can find a good comparison of heatsinks here.

(note, I am NOT recomentding the Z600 to you with that link, its just the most up to date CPU Cooler results chart at Bit Tech. )

xager8on

xager8on

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
If I am reading this chart correctly, top to bottom represents best to worst.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Hi again,

That chart is not in any form of order. The best is the lowest red bar (CPU temp), Akasa 966 Blue Aurora on 43C.

That being said, the XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 is one of the best performing units on the market, and represents great value for money as well.

Troy

Candu

Candu

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Hi again,

That chart is not in any form of order. The best is the lowest red bar (CPU temp), Akasa 966 Blue Aurora on 43C.

That being said, the XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 is one of the best performing units on the market, and represents great value for money as well.

Troy

Hey Troy, you are reading the chart incorrectly Im affraid.

On any particular CPU Cooler test, the variable that is outside of the controll of the reviewer will be the temperature on that particular day. (Obviously they didnt test all of these coolers on the same system on the same day.)

Because of this temperature at idle and load are both also variable and therefore both meaningless. What is not meaningless is the difference in temperature between the cpu at load and idle (called the Delta Temperature, or DT for short). If you go back and look at the chart again you can see that it is ordered in ascending value of the GREEN bar.

Hope this makes things a little clearer.

Troy

Troy

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 8,841 posts
Woops, you're right. :)

I have to admit that's pretty poor, though, they could at least test in a controlled environment (air-conditioning set at a stable temperature).

Troy