Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Desktop hanging 5-10 minutes before it complete

• Please log in to reply

ToKnowNot

ToKnowNot

• Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi;

I updated my PC to XP SP3 via Windows Update couple months back, and now I encountered loading problems.

Welcome Screen
- I select my account
- enter the password for my account
- My wallpaper loaded, but nothing else.
- System idle/hang for 5- 10 minutes before all of my icons completely loaded.

I open Task Manager and CPU usage is 0%, regular SYSTEM processed loaded and nothing else.

I thought that my computer might have infected by Virus, spyware., RootKit..etc. However, when I ran complete system SCAN on system, nothing was infected - system completely clean, no virus, no spyware..no RootKit..nah da. I even removed all unused Registries.

I loaded through Safe Mode, which is loaded way faster than the Normal Mode. I scanned under Safe Mode, and still no file infected found.

I used Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware for Spyware/Malware, Symantec Anti-Virus, ZoneAlarm Firewall.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
toNotKnow

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
Hi ToKnowNot ...welcome to Geeks To Go... :)
try system restore...go back before SP3...
also use the device manager and see if you have any yellow ! or ? marks...any red X's...
another thing to try is chkdsk /r instructions here

Edited by happyrock, 11 November 2008 - 10:33 AM.

ToKnowNot

ToKnowNot

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi;

I've tried and there still no help - below is the Highjack log.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
what did you try and what were the results

ToKnowNot

ToKnowNot

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I tried "system restore", ran chkdsk /r, no hardware problems (yellow, red..etc); I even ran several different SpyWare/Malware apps - but still nothing; I tried to disabled all the services exception of Microsoft Services, disabled most of the startup apps except Microsoft.

Thanks

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
once its finally at the desktop how does it run...normal speed ....???

first disconnect from the internet before doing this next test
if this is a desktop
then click on start...run...type in msconfig....click on the start up tab...
uncheck everything...reboot
how does it load then...if its fast again...use msconfig to enable 1 thing at a time (rebooting in between) until you find the one thats causing the slowdown

Edited by happyrock, 13 November 2008 - 09:49 AM.

Topaz

Topaz

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Hi ToKnowNot ,
I see you mention ZoneAlarm Firewall being installed .
There have been widespread issues with Zone Alarm and MS WinXP SP3 . Plus there are more 3rd party software conflicts . Before completely hacking your computer there's some things to read prior to installing SP3 .
Microsoft:
How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of Windows XP Service Pack 3
ZoneAlarm User Forum:
Steps to take before you install... XP SP 3
People have had all sorts of issues . Funny , I had none ?
I realise you have already installed WinXP SP3 , and I aren't aware what further steps you have taken since your last post , but we may be able to read up on some fixes rather than disabling software ad hoc . :)
Time taken now to research what should be old , and resolved issues with SP3 could save a re-install .
Please post back and let us know what your situation is :)

ToKnowNot

ToKnowNot

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi ToPaz;

I did not encountered any problems during installation of the SP3; everything runs smoothly until couple weeks ago. After the login screen the process extremely slow - its take 5-10 minutes for the desktop to completely loaded. When I open the "Task Management" the CPU usage is zero percent.

After its loaded, speed went back normal; under safe mode, its even faster.

As I recalled the problems starting to occurred after I transferred some of the Digital Images from the camera to my PC; but when I scanned, nothing infected - no virus, no spyware/malware, no rootkit (RootKit Revealer).

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks

ToKnowNot

ToKnowNot

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi;

The attached has the list of processes running while the system idle/hanging for 5-10 minutes; nothing seems suspicious.

thankx

Attached Thumbnails

• startup.jpg

ToKnowNot

ToKnowNot

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Hi;

I just check my Event Viewer; its quite a shock that there plenty of errors with following following information.

Type: Error
Source: Service Control Manager
Event ID: 700
Description:
The KLIF service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified.

I done some searching - and discovered that the event belong to a program/service call "kaspersky";

I don't recall of installed/having that program anywhere on my system. HEEEELLLP.

thanks

Topaz

Topaz

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
Hi ToKnowNot , yes it did seem strange you've had WinXP SP3 for a couple of months , if there was a direct reaction to installing SP3 it would've surely happened immediately , therefore I don't think it is so .

The system event ; Event ID 700 — Task Scheduler Backward Compatible Module Status .
http://technet.micro...y/cc727087.aspx

Have you any tasks scheduled to run? Please check Scheduled Tasks and see whether there's anything there .
Start> Accessories> System Tools > Scheduled Tasks .

" ... As I recalled the problems starting to occurred after I transferred some of the Digital Images from the camera to my PC "

Maybe some pending task is waiting to run involving your Camera ?
How about plugging in your Camera and testing that the software is installed properly , o.k. Try transferring some images from the camera .

The Description:

O.K. I found a thread at Kaspersky Labs ( Kaspersky is a Anti-Virus programme )
Now this is exactly the same problem you have recieved oddly enough : http://forum.kaspers...showtopic=22494
Could you check in Add/Remove Programs that you have no reference to "Kaspersky" . If you have UnInstall it .
Strange to get a mention in your event log , as I'm sure you understand, about this missing "Kaspersky" file . Also if you have Symantec Anti-Virus the two programmes will conflict , even just with fragments of the Kaspersky product on your system . Complex hey :)
Even so download the Kaspersky Removal Tool , it can't hurt to run it as it ties in with your problem with error:

Download KisKav6Remove.zip , Run it please as it is meant to clean up a bad uninstall . You know nothing of this Kaspersky product ToKnowNot ?
For more info about removing Kaspersky Products and versions !
Let us know what happens , there's several ideas here , the Camera has unresolved Tasks , and Kaspersky on your machine as well as Symantec Anti-Virus . :) A lot to look over , hope it is some help .

ToKnowNot

ToKnowNot

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
Topaz;

I believed the problem has been solved; its turned out to be ZoneAlarm Security Suite. Its suite implemented Kaspersky Anti virus algorithm. I had version 8.0.20, and upgraded to 8.0.59 - the problem solved (hopefully) - I disabled ZoneAlarm Anti-Virus as it will conflict with Symantec Anti-Virus.

Thank for your help!!!!
toKnowNot

Topaz

Topaz

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

I believed the problem has been solved; its turned out to be ZoneAlarm Security Suite. Its suite implemented Kaspersky Anti virus algorithm.

That is excellent ToKnowNot :)
Good on you for following through with your research and finding the answer !

Yes, you will have to turn off any modules in ZoneAlarm Security Suite which may conflict with Symantec Anti-Virus , ... you may even want to change to a standalone Firewall like Comodo (freeware) , but I suppose you've paid for ZASS .

As long as your system is working it's great news to me !

Thanks for letting us all know your problem was solved , as others can learn from your experience ,

Regards and Safe Surfing
Topaz :)