Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Can't Acquire IP Address

• Please log in to reply

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have a Gateway MX-something laptop. I bought it in 2006. My hard drive just died last week and I took it to Geek Squad, and they replaced it under warranty.

I got it home last night, and I can't figure out how to get back on the internet. I have internet through Comcast Cable, and my desktop is still working just fine. On my laptop, it says that I'm connected to my wireless network, even says excellent signal strength, but it never acquires the IP address.

I don't know enough about the technical side of computers to know what to do to get it back to where it was.

What am I not doing?