Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Dell CPU Fan very Loud

• Please log in to reply

dell500

dell500

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Please help

I have a dell Optiplex Desktop GX280 with a very very loud cpu fan.

When I turn on it gives amber light but no boot, just the fan starts going mad. I have
onboard graphics card. I have

• Disconnected all drives and left only motherboard connected,
• Reset bios – no luck

The only thing is when I take the cpu out and leave cpu fan connected then the fan works fine (no loud noise) so I think it is not the fan – but the cpu or a the motherboard / mother board sensor.

I would really appreciate some help as I don’t have a clue what it could be. I don’t get any beeps from the motherboard at all on boot-up with cpu or without. Motherboard power light goes on inside case.

Please please any advise

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Since you're able to disassemble your computer, I'm going to guess you have some knowledge of troubleshooting PCs.

From the sound of it, it either looks like a motherboard or power supply problem. Dell isn't that great with their power supplies.. they're normally just large enough to run the computer. I've replaced many Dell power supplies in the past and quite a few because of the +12 volt line. However, I believe that a lot of Dells use +5v to run the CPU fan.. thus a "quieter" Dell, so perhaps the +5v line is bad.

Can you even access the bios? If so, did you check what the bios reports about the power forms? If you have access to a Voltmeter, you should check the power forms coming from the power supply. Any power form that is "fluctuating"... for instance, your +12v supply fluctuating between +10 and +12... or your +5v fluctuating between +3 to +5... points to a bad ps.

Of course, since you stated there are no bios beeps with/without the CPU installed, it could also be your motherboard or bad bios. Then again, the motherboard needs stable voltage, so check the power supply first.

Edited by makai, 11 November 2008 - 02:58 PM.

GSXR2010

GSXR2010

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I have a Dell Optiplex GX280 as well and I have the same problem with the fan I havent reset my BIOS yet but, when I called Dell they told me too. And if that doesnt work then they said I should replace the heatsink and fan at 32.99. But I didnt think about checking the Power Supply. So when I check the PS with the Voltmeter what do I look for to tell if it is bad? Also what do you think about changing the fan and heatsink? And if the PS is not bad how do I check the motherboard to figure out if it is bad? Thanks
-Ryan

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,307 posts
This topic is over 1 year old.

Direct to: GSXR2010

Please start your own topic
Although your issue may seem similar there can be other factors that may need to be resolved.
By bumping on someone's topic it makes it confusing for the tech to understand who they are helping. This can in turn cause the wrong support to be given and can cause instability or worse to happen to your system. Thank you for your cooperation.