Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Antivirus Pro 2009 & go.google problems

• Please log in to reply

SolidSnake8282

SolidSnake8282

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Greetings G2G admins! It seems that I've been hit with the infamous Antivirus Pro 2009 prompts as well as the go.google redirect problem that occurs with Google search results links. The preventive software that I run on my Gateway MX3230 laptop includes Sophos Anti-Virus, Lavasoft Ad-Aware 2008, and Spybot S&D. When indications of the infections appeared, I ran or at least tried to run my software to combat the problem. S&D wouldn't even load up, and Ad-Aware was able to load up but unable to get updates before doing a scan. Fortunately, Sophos was still pretty intact and able to remove these three items: Mal/Heuri-E, Mal/FakeAle-C, and Mal/Emogen-G. Unfortunately, I'm still plagued with the go.google problem. I've attempted to install Malwarebytes as most tech support websites have suggested, however nothing happens when I double-click the install file. The same goes for attempts to install Hijackthis. The name of the install file appears in the process list under Windows Task Manager, but it does nothing! After a while, it simply disappears. Am I out of luck, or are there any alternative courses of action I can take? Thanks in advance!

Advertisements

SolidSnake8282

SolidSnake8282

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
:) It seems that after renaming the install files to something obscure, they actually launch now when I double-click them. :) I'll do a run of Malwarebytes and then Hijackthis and provide you guys with a log.

Gravity Gripp

Gravity Gripp

Trusted Helper

• Malware Removal
  • 1,815 posts
SolidSnake8282, Welcome to Geeks-To-Go. My name is GravityGripp and I'll be assisting you with your
issues.

First, when you post logs here, post them directly into the reply. Do not attach them, unless told to do so. Also, do not alter the font, color, or size of these logs. This will help me, help you.

Also, if I have not responded to you in a time period longer than 4 days, please feel free to PM me.

Thanks and I look forward to working with you. :)

STEP ONE
Download avz4.zip from here
  • Unzip it to your desktop to a folder named avz4
  • Double click on AVZ.exe to run it.
  • Run an update by clicking the Auto Update button on the Right of the Log window: Posted Image
  • Click Start to begin the update
Note: If you recieve an error message, chose a different source, then click Start again
  • After the update, from the "File" menu, choose "Standard Scripts"
  • Put a check next to item 2: Advanced System Investigation
  • Click Execute selected scripts
  • At the next prompt, click the OK button
  • Let the scan run and click "OK" when the completion prompt pops up
  • Now Close out of the Standard Scripts window, and exit AVZ
  • Navigate to the avz4 folder and locate the folder LOG
  • Inside the LOG folder you will find virusinfo_syscheck.htm and virusinfo_syscheck.zip
  • Attach virusinfo_syscheck.htm to your next reply, along with a fresh HijackThis log