Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

internet disconnects

• Please log in to reply

gregkegler

gregkegler

• Pip
  • 9 posts
when i start this computer it will go on the internet and i start surfing and then it disconnects after about 5 minutes and won't reconnect until i reboot and then does it again. when i double click on the icon in my system tray it shows connected but sent and received show the same numbers and do not change. i am useing a dsl connection and my other computers work fine. i have run my scans through avg and installed adaware and ran scans. i put the computer on a different network and the same thing happend. i cleaned out my history and cookies. someone on the internet told me there was a update from avg that caused this type of problem so i ran a repair installation from avg website. http://www.avg.com/f...m-1561#faq_1561 . just for fun i decided to go into safe mode with networking and log on to the web. still does the same thing, don't know if that helps. i ran microsoft updates and installed them.
thanks,
greg

Advertisements

gregkegler

gregkegler

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
sorry i didn't give specs on computer, here they are:
Mfr: hp
Model: pavilion a404x
Type: Desktop
CPU: celeron 2.8 ghz
Installed RAM: 504 mb
Disk Drives: 3.5", floppy cd writer dvd rom combo

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello gregkegler and welcome to Geeks to Go! :)

I can think of a few reasons for your PC to do such a thing. Lets go through them one at a time :)
First, I want to check if the drivers are OK

So, lets see if you have any errors in the device manager.
  • Go to Start -> Run.
  • In the Box, type in "devmgmt.msc".
  • Now look in that window, can you find any "?".
  • Please tell me which devices are marked with a yellow "?".

Regards,
Olrik

gregkegler

gregkegler

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
no yellow marks. under network adapters 1394 net adapter has a red x and realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast Ethernet NIC has no red x. both adapters were enabled when i started this problem so i disabled the 1394 to see if it made a difference, but it didn't help.

gregkegler

gregkegler

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
i am adding my hyjackthis log:

HJT log removed - they're not allowed in this forum, and it's not needed for this issue.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Hello again gregkegler,

The 1394 adapter is your Firewire.
After your internet disconnects, are the lights on your network card still flashing?

Regards,
Olrik

gregkegler

gregkegler

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
yes, green is solid on and yellow flashes.

gregkegler

gregkegler

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
just as an fyi when i tried to do a restore point it came up with an error message that it could not do it because copmuter was missing .Net Framework: V2.0.50727. don't know if that has anything to do with it but just in case.

gregkegler

gregkegler

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
just as an fyi i installed .Net Framework: V2.0.50727. and solved that issue but it didn't make any difference on the internet issue.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
I am so sorry I haven't replied sooner.
Your topic got lost in my e-mail replies.

Have you maybe called your ISP yet?
I think this -might- be a defective router.

Regards,
Olrik

gregkegler

gregkegler

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
i have another computer on my network, on the same router that works just fine. so i do not beleive that the router is the problem. i have allso hokked this up to a different internet connection and it does the same thing.

Artellos

Artellos

Tech Secretary

• Global Moderator
  • 3,915 posts
Do you have a firewall installed?
Does your router perhaps have a firewall built-in?

Regards,
Olrik

gregkegler

gregkegler

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I have physically taken the computer to work and hooked it up with the same results so i don't think it is the router firewall. i have windows firewall and it is on. i have avast antivirus installed and i don't see a firewall on it. i am not sure if avast has a firewall.