Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

I guarentee this is the hardest computer mystery you will find on the

• Please log in to reply

tylerscool

tylerscool

• PipPip
  • 53 posts
Well its been about 2 months now and no one i've come across can find the problem even the computer repairman. First what happend was, I put an extra hard drive not removing the other one, and I turned it on and the computer screen would not go. I then tried removing the new hard drive and it still didn't work. I tried everything i could think, but still nothing all I did was put in a new hard drive i was advised to keep it pluged in which i did and turned off. I'm pretty handy with computers but i called the computer repair man and he said I fried the motherboard, which i doubted i ordered a nice new motherboard and a great cpu. We got it and installed it and now nothing not even to turn it on. But if you hit the bios power it will turn on and stay on or sometimes stall. So we sent it to the computer man again and he said it was the cpu fan. It wasn't so now he says its the motherboard, which I talked to a few people doesn't sound right. Since he took so long the motherboard warrenty expired and now i cannot return so im turning to you guys to help me because its been 2 months without my computer all i have a 200 laptop that barely works.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi tylerscool

I love a challenge...

Could you please clarify something first:
I'm not sure what you mean by 'bios power'. When you attempt to power the computer on normally, what exactly happens?
i.e:
1) is there any power at all to the system?
2) Does the monitor LED change from amber to green, and if so, do you get a display on the monitor?
3) Do you hear any beeps?
4) Do the keyboard lights (Caps lock etc) flash once just after powering on the system?

Secondly, can you please tell us exactly what motherboard you have (brand name & model number), what cpu & memory you have (as much detail as possible please), and what video card & hard drives you have please?

Also, what PSU do you have (brand name & power rating in watts)

tylerscool

tylerscool

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Hi tylerscool

I love a challenge...

Could you please clarify something first:
I'm not sure what you mean by 'bios power'. When you attempt to power the computer on normally, what exactly happens?
i.e:
1) is there any power at all to the system?
2) Does the monitor LED change from amber to green, and if so, do you get a display on the monitor?
3) Do you hear any beeps?
4) Do the keyboard lights (Caps lock etc) flash once just after powering on the system?

Secondly, can you please tell us exactly what motherboard you have (brand name & model number), what cpu & memory you have (as much detail as possible please), and what video card & hard drives you have please?

Also, what PSU do you have (brand name & power rating in watts)

0.<There is a button on the motherboard that you can hit that says bios reset>
1.yes only when i hit the bios reset
2. no monitor hasnt hit green since the day it died
3. Fan goes everything goes i dont think any beeps but its louder then normal
4. I remeber before the mouse lights turned on but i can quite remember

ive also tried a new monior and no luck

thanks a lot for helping me btw because im getting frusturated

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, thanks for the info so far.

The mouse light doesn't really mean anything other than there's power to the motherboard. Could you check the keyboard lights as well please?

Am I right in thinking then that if you try to power the system on normally, using the power button on the front of the case instead of pressing the bios reset, you get no power whatsoever to the board? i.e no fans etc

NB Don't forget to provide the rest of the info I originally asked for!

tylerscool

tylerscool

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
I dont have the power cord right now the computer guy still has it then ill check for the beeps and the lights on the keyboard, you are correct when i hit the button it does not power on, only when i hit bios reset but obviously no screen

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, no problem. Let me what the motherboard model is etc in the meantime though.

tylerscool

tylerscool

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Motherboard: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16813136055
CPU: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819115037
Video Card: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814500039
Power Supply: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16817170017

Ram: 4gb crucial memory

Edited by tylerscool, 11 November 2008 - 08:14 PM.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Replace the power supply if you haven't done so already.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
When you get your power cable back, try the things I've already suggested but then try this:

1) Disconnect the wires from the front panel header on your motherboard (i.e the power & reset switch wires, HDD LED, power LED etc).

2) Make sure the PSU is connected to the motherboard, is plugged & switched on at the back.

3) Next find a small flat head screwdriver.

4) Consult your motherboard manual to check which 2 pins on the front panel header are for the power switch. (Don't assume you already know - double check!).
I have been trying to look this info up myself for you but DFI seem to have managed to have crashed their webserver at the moment...

5) Bridge these 2 pins (i.e touch both at the same time) with the tip of the screwdriver. This should (normally) power the board on. Let me know if it does & what happens.

tylerscool

tylerscool

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
okay sorry i was gone before, i will try tommorow see what happens thanks for the help ill tell u tommorow

Advertisements

tylerscool

tylerscool

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
okay i looked at the board and the manual i found on the internet and i dont know what your talking about is labeled the same on the board the manual is here: http://img.lanparty......english 0.pdf -----------pg 15 is the page im looking at and any luck with dfi? Also i turned it on the lights on the wireless reciever for the wireless keyboard/mouse goes on the hard drive i think i can here the disk drive turns on so do all the fans. It stall after being on for about 8 seconds and now i cannot boot by hitting bios, i must unplug it until all the power leaves it then plug it in, then it goes on for a few then goes off and must repeat. I hope this information can help you help me, thanks.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, thanks for the link to the manual.

According to the manual, the onboard reset/power buttons you have been using do not clear the bios. You need to use the jumper cap to clear the bios.

The soft power pins I was referring to before, are the 2 marked 'ATX-SW' on page 44 of the manual.

Are you now able to turn it on by touching these 2 pins together or does it still only power on when you press the reset button?

According to the manual again (see page 15) you should have 2 buttons - reset & power. Does pressing the power button turn the system on as well?

Are you saying that approx 8 seconds after powering it on, it shuts off again by itself?

The fact that you can't power the system on again straight away is normal for this board. It forces you to wait a few seconds to allow itself to fully discharge first.

Does the LED on the monitor turn green at any point now?

There is an 8 pin power connector on the motherboard near the cpu (see page 41). Your PSU doesn't seem to have an 8 pin 12V connector so have you got the square 4 pin connector connected to this instead?

tylerscool

tylerscool

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Yes it seems progress is coming, since touching the pins it will only turn on now by pressing the power button or hitting the pins, and not by plugging in and stalling. Since hitting the pins i can hit the power button again, after somehow being disabled by the computer tech. The bad news is that the light on the monitor still doesn't turn on, and stalls after about 40 seconds now, i do only have a 4 port but if you read the manual carefully you can use a 4 port, but is recommended you use the 8. I think very soon this problem will be solved if the progression persists.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK.
Can you try the following suggestions please:

1) Firstly, clear the bios. You can use either JP8 on the rear of the motherboard or JP2 in the bottom right corner of the board. Whichever one you choose, make sure you first disconnect the external power lead then unplug the main ATX power connector from the motherboard.
Next move the jumper cap so that it covers pins 2-3. Leave like this for 30 seconds then replace cap so that it covers pins 1-2. (see page 28 in manual if necessary)

2) I assume you have at least 2 memory modules. Can you remove all except one module. Make sure the single remaining module is in the first ram slot. (DIMM 1)

3) Make sure that your video card is securely seated and is in the first PCIE1.

4) Make sure you have the internal case (system) speaker connected. See pages 44 & 45 of manual

5) Check that the cpu FSB is set correctly. This is on the jumper block next to the CPU. Your cpu uses an FSB OF 1333MHZ so it should be set as follows:

JP17: cap must be covering pins 2-3
JP18: cap must be covering pins 2-3
JP19: cap must be covering pins 3-4

6) If you haven't already done so, make sure that all the drives (hard drive/optical drive etc) are disconnected. i.e disconnect the drive cabling from the motherboard & disconnect the power to the drives. Also make sure you have no external devices connected except monitor & keyboard.

Let me know if this makes any difference at all. If not, I suspect the problem may be with either the PSU or the motherboard...

tylerscool

tylerscool

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
I think i found the problem :) and that is on this motherboard there is no speaker, never came with one. My old motherboard came with an internal speaker i have noticed and cannot be removed, is this the speaker? http://www.cwc-group.com/casp.html and would this cause the computer to not boot correctly? My cpu is correct, other things i changed but havent tried because i need the speaker i will pick one up ASAP but please tell me is this the problem?