Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

trackball issue

• Please log in to reply

gizmologist

gizmologist

• Pip
  • 3 posts
For some reason the drag feature on my Logitek trackball has ceased to operate properly. The same trackball on the same computer has functioned for three years. When left clicking to grab the scroll bar on any browser, the bar with jump several lines and the page will wipe from top to bottom instead of a smooth drag up or down.

All the device troubleshooters say all is well, the mouse works in every other aspect. I installed a new mouse in a diff USB slot and both do the same thing. I tried an old PS-2 mouse- same thing. This just "happened" one afternoon.

Any ideas?

Advertisements

phillip22

phillip22

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
If the mouse was supplied with it's own control software, try re-installing it. Also remove the ball plate, drop the ball out and clean out all the accumulated "fluff" from the rollers behind where the ball sits, though if that was causing your problem it would also affect the movement of the mouse pointer (causing erratic movements). Still, it's worth checking all the same.

Finally, ball-mice are now considered "old technology". You might consider replacing it with a modern mouse that uses a tracking beam of light instead of a ball and rollers. They are more accurate, more responsive, and fluff gumming-up the inside is no longer an issue.

gizmologist

gizmologist

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
I like trackballs as they use a small footprint on the desk and I don't like using standard mice. Speed is not an issue with me as I am used ti the trackball. The unit is clean and the cursor works smoothly. The only issue is dragging the scroll bar in a browser. The computer loaded drivers automatically when I connected the trackball.

Any other possible solutions?