Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

XP Network Share Permissions

• Please log in to reply

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
I recently found that you can get the 'classic' network sharing options in XP. I never used these in previous operating systems, so I'm not quite sure how to set it up.

How, exactly, do you set up a folder so that only one computer on the network, in the same workgroup, can get access to it.

I'm on a network with 3 other guys, and we all share stuff with each other, but I want a folder on my desktop that only my laptop can access.

It says to put in 'objects' for permissions, and I have no idea what those are. When I put in my laptop's computer name, it says it's invalid.

Any help is appreciated.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
You can't do what you want to do without a Domain Controller. A Domain Controller is a Windows Server that runs active directory. What you can do is restrict the access to the folder by your username or group.

To do so, right click on the folder and select "properties". Click "permissions" on the Sharing tab. From here you can add your username to the list and remove all other users. Now when you try to access the share you should be required to authenticate using your account information prior to being able to access the share.

Good luck!